All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just went shopping--spent a ton!!
      #103667 - 09/03/04 11:04 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

Hi everyone
I went grocery shopping and spent much more than usual for less groceries. We have a tight budget (6 people/1 income). I do bake sometimes and I really dont buy alot of junk food (never did)but the added costs for my soy milk, cheese, tummy tea etc is adding a great deal to our bill. I'd like to know what everyone buys that is good tasting and relatively cheap, I'd really appreciate it.
Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just went shopping--spent a ton!! new
      #103673 - 09/03/04 11:15 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I know what you mean. I went yesterday and spent way more than normal. I bought Soy sour cream. Came home and tried it all I can say YUCK YUCK YUCK. I threw it away. I also bought alot of soy stuff that seems to be ok. I wish I could give you some advice. I tried to buy IBS safe things that everyone in the house would eat and would leave left overs for later.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#103675 - 09/03/04 11:24 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Heather,
I tried soy cream cheese (Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese) well to say the least it isn't better than cream cheese! It is tollerable, but pasty and this is coming from someone who loves all soy. Everything else is great!

Have you tried the Rice Dream,Rainbow Soy or any of the other ice creams? They are yummy!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#103676 - 09/03/04 11:26 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For me, it's a matter of prioritizing where I want to spend my money and what I can skip. (We're a single-income household too, and it's a low single income at that.) Personally, I NEVER buy soy milk, soy cheese, etc - I just gave up faux dairy altogether - because I practically live on chicken breasts and Boca burgers, and so I'd rather spend the money on those.

Something else that's saved us money: I don't necessarily cook the same thing for both of us. You'd think that would be more expensive, but it's FAR cheaper to buy myself a package of chicken breasts (that lasts me a week) and big packages of thighs and cheap beef for him, rather than buying 4 or 5 packages of breasts - see what I mean? And it's not like I'm cooking 2 completely different meals every single night - a lot of the time, everything's prepared the same, he's just eating a different cut of chicken than I am.

Oh, and we eat a LOT of pasta. It really doesn't get cheaper than that - you just have to get a little creative so you're not eating jarred sauce all the time.

#103679 - 09/03/04 11:34 AM
Sweetd

Rice Dream Ice Cream, Soy Dream or Rainbow Soy Ice Cream are awesome! Silk Soy yogurt is great, and Vita Soy or West Soy milk are very good too. Tufutti cream cheese is ok, a little pasty though. Nonayse (soy mayo), is alright. Veggsoy cheese slices are good too.

I buy Fennel, Chameal and Peppermint tea, which are also good.

I know, I have a tight budget too and it is very expensive. I shop around. I buy some from the Health Food Store, because they carry everything, but they are expensive. I find that most of the stuff is the same price everywhere, except for the Soy milk, these are cheaper at Pathmark and some Supermarkets. Good luck.

--------------------

#103683 - 09/03/04 11:42 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I just bought some of the Rice Dream Ice Cream. I am going to try it tonight. The sour cream even smelled bad. I love sour cream but I think I will have to do without because I sure in the heck am not eating that.LOL

I like the slik soy milk and the veggie chesse wasn't to bad it will just take some getting used to. I am hoping it will taste better melted then it did on the taco last night. I like the ground turkey though but man o man was it expensive. 5.50 a pound YIKES.

--------------------
Heather7476

Casey... new
      #103684 - 09/03/04 11:43 AM
Sweetd

Casey, that is too funny, I am always eating chicken too! Luckly, I never get tried of it either.

--------------------

#103686 - 09/03/04 11:46 AM
Sweetd

I love sour cream too, I know I have also given it up. The cheese and Soy Milk does take some getting used too, but now I love it.

--------------------

#103688 - 09/03/04 12:13 PM
rim

Reged: 07/19/04

SweetD:
Not sure where on LI you are, but I'm finding that King Kullen and Stop & Shop have a much larger selection than Pathmark does. Depends on the specific store, so you may want to stop into a few.
And of course Trader Joes is best of all, and sometimes in the same price range.
best
-r

#103703 - 09/03/04 01:25 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

other then soy/rice milk for baking and for cereal and the occasional brick of soy cheese, I just skip dairy products- I make soy/rice ice cream here... and make it last... and I bake some treats for myself on occasion..

Also- when budget is tight (or even when its not) i make a ton of chicken and rice/potato and a ton of pasta for myself- DH can eat another cut of chicken/a piece of beef, or the same thing, but he gets sick of breasts all the time... I do buy packaged thighs (bone in) and use them to make my own chicken stock- a lot cheaper then the safe stuff and I can make a crockpot full while I'm at work and then freeze it... skim the fat by refrigerating the crock before I pour it into other containers and then lifting it off...

I don't do a lot of jarred sauces, but I grow herbs and use a lot of canned tomatos... works well for us.. better then the jarred stuff but I keep a few of those around too.. antoehr thing- that cheap hunts sauce works really well as a base for doctored sauce.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1920

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review