All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I think stress is the trigger???
      #103426 - 09/02/04 09:48 AM
David

Reged: 08/10/04

I was reading some posts from yesterday discussing anxiety and IBS. I do believe that anxiety is the biggest trigger I have. The only problem is I don't know how to deal with it properly. Everyone says to just calm down and relax but I don't know if it's possible sometimes. With the responsibility I have, it appears that stress is just a fact of life. I've always been able to just tell myself to "suck it up and deal with it", but with IBS it not so easy. Any advice would be appreciated.

David

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I think stress is the trigger??? new
      #103432 - 09/02/04 10:23 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Have you considered doing the hypnotherapy CD's? I was a total skeptic but they are really helping me tremendously. Go to the Hypnosis for IBS room and read the posts over there.
Other good de-stressers are exercise, and working with your hands. I love to crochet and knit, but I'm not sure guys are into that (not that there would be anything wrong with that ... ) but maybe woodworking or pottery or something? I'm not much of an artist but maybe painting or drawing or something. I also walk in the park about 4 days a week and do an exercise video. It all helps me relax. Oh and cooking, too.
Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#103436 - 09/02/04 10:32 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Stress is a big trigger for me. Like i can eat almost anything if I take some digestive supplements when i am alone and at home and have no where to go, but the minute I know I have to be somewhere and eat with other people even sometimes my family I freak out and think what if I have an attack. But for the past year I have been much better, I know that if I stick to foods that are absolutely safe and eat slowly that I will be alright. I also stopped worrying about what others think of me if I don't eat or just in general at my job. Like I even stopped answering the question at business functions when they ask 'why aren't you eating?' I just say i have allergies and nothing is okay for me. Seriously what a rude question anyway, it is no one's business why i am not eating and they shouldn't be so nosy. I am an engineer and almost a perfectionist,but I learned that my job is not the most imporant thing in the world and it is not the end of the world if I make a mistake. My point to all my rambling is I got over most of my anxiety by stopping the concern about what someone else will think of me. I know it is silly but if you have ever seen the infomercial for Lucinda Basset's "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" you may want to consider purchasing it. It is expensive though, but worth every penny, it teaches you to get over your anxiety and to do what is best for you and your body. It did not "cure" me but it really helped.-

#103474 - 09/02/04 01:13 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Amanda-

you hit it on the head.. thats basically my suggestions- doing things you enjoy, exercise, and being comfortable, if need be talk to your doctor or work on ways to imrpove your relaxation techniques- yoga, hypnosis, etc

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#103491 - 09/02/04 02:34 PM
tam38

Reged: 06/28/04

I actually have the opposite problem, my IBS triggers my anxiety. The bottom line is that if you're feeling overwelmed and confused, its best to get professionial help before it spirals out of control (if it hasn't already!). I tried for months to try to "work things out on my own," but when you can't eliminate stress from your life than you need to learn tools in order to cope better. Hope this helps!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review