All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Turkey
      #103161 - 09/01/04 11:35 AM
BJay

Reged: 08/18/04

I am still trying things and making changes with my diet. A couple of times I thought my IBS acted up after eating turkey. I tried just the breast and also ground turkey. Has anyone had a problem with turkey. Sometimes it seemed OK and other times I have my doubts. White meat chicken seems to be OK. Does anyone know if turkey can be a problem??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Turkey new
      #103165 - 09/01/04 11:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ground turkey can potentially be a problem, because unless you're buying specifically ground breast meat, you're getting a lot of dark meat in there too... and it's a lot higher in fat. If you noticed the problems after eating ground turkey, that might be the problem.

I've also noticed that I do better with fresh turkey breast than with prepackaged turkey-breast lunch meats. Chemical additives and preservatives are another thing that some people may be sensitive to.

I don't know if any of this is at all helpful, but I tried! It's entirely possible that turkey bothers you; IBS can be a highly individualized problem, and what works for one person might not work for someone else. For example, I can't eat egg whites - something that's perfectly safe for 99% of the people on this board. Ya never know! Keeping a food diary, to see what else could be triggering attacks, might be very helpful.

Good luck!

#103166 - 09/01/04 11:41 AM
Cherry

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Windsor, Ontario

Turkey seems to upset my stomach but,so does chicken if it's whole,a breat of chicken is ok.

#103180 - 09/01/04 12:08 PM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Try Turkey tenderloins cooked on the grill or baked. They are great and you control the spices and oils and marinades etc. that goes on them. The cooked meat stays fresh in the fridge for a few days and you can easily slice it up for sandwiches. This way you may be able to tell if your problem is with the turkey meat or with the processing of some of the other turkey products. Sometimes the tenderloins are prepackaged with marinades, but plain fresh ones do exist. Good luck and enjoy.

#103187 - 09/01/04 12:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

White meat turkey should be fine, of course with soluble fiber food and in moderate amounts. Anything else it could be? Are you keeping a food diary? If not, I would start one, they can be very helpful.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#103194 - 09/01/04 12:20 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Turkey doesn't bother me the first few days after I buy it, but after three days or more, I get nauseous and I feel like I am going to throw up. (I have a ultra-sensitive stomach) I try to keep turkey for no more than three day.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review