All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Allergic to Immodium....
      #102847 - 08/31/04 11:09 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Well, it looks like I can't tolerate Imodium, at least not using it as a preventative. The rash I developed last week went away over the weekend, although I still was itchy in places yet. I really thot it was a new mineral supp. I had been on for about 5 days, and so after the rash went away, I began taking 1 Imodium again every morning. Well, this is day 3 on the 2nd try and my neck has begun to break out. I think its a prolonged usage thing for me. I think if I had an attack I could still use the Imodium or once and awhile could use it as a preventative, just not every day. DARN! Just when i found something that was helping. The GI put me in Elavil yesterday, so I'm really hoping that will help, seeing I can't have my beloved Imodium regularly. Such a bummer....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allergic to Immodium.... new
      #102859 - 08/31/04 12:29 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, dear, that's frustrating! But I have two suggestions.

First, there are other prescription anti-diarrheals out there that your doctor might be willing to prescribe for you. Also don't forget Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate.

BUT...I know a lot about allergic reactions, from scary painful personal experience. You really don't want to risk a full blown anaphylactic shock reaction that requires an ambulance trip to the emergency room. Trust me on that one!

And based on the symptoms you've had so far, the very next Imodium could be the one that pushes you over the edge. I would really NOT recommend taking any more Imodium EVER!

Now, here's more bad news. Imodium is a synthetic opiate. Having developed an allergy to it means you are at high risk for allergic reactions to ALL opiates. We're talking codeine, darvon, oxycontin, you name it. You need to let the GI know and your regular doctor and should consider getting one of those medic alert tags so that a well meaning ER person doesn't start you on an opiate drip if you have an accident or something.

Yeah, it's a real bummer, I know, Janene. But we don't want to lose you, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#102863 - 08/31/04 12:56 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

well put laura sue.. please be very careful with medical allergies.. each future attack could become worse and worse and you don't want to run the risks...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#102876 - 08/31/04 01:41 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

What I would do, since I am allergic to so many things , I wouldn't take it at all. It stinks, but it is the best thing to do. I would try Pepto-Bismol. I hear that is has different ingredients and easier to handle for some people. My friend was told this by a dr. I can't take Immodium Advance, which really stinks, and I wish I could, so instead I am taking Immodium regular and Mylanta gas as a replacement for the Advanced ingredients. try the other anti- D's and see if they work. It may be helping you, but it could be doing more harm in the long run. Better to be safe than sorry.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#102910 - 08/31/04 03:29 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I was shocked to read that Immodium is a synthetic opiate. Those others (codeine, etc.) make me throw up and I have been trying to decide whether to try Immodium -- do you think I should avoid it????

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#102924 - 08/31/04 04:30 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Well, nausea is a side effect of opiates more than a sign of allergy. I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure, but I think you'd be okay. Do you have a good pharmacist you can ask? Or a doctor you can call about it? Imodium is VERY safe for the vast majority of people. Janene's allergy is very rare. As long as you haven't had itching or rash or hives from other opiates before, it's probably okay.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Too bad, Janene new
      #102933 - 08/31/04 04:47 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry you can't take Imodium ! It was working so good for you. Try Keopectate tablets. That's what I used before I found Imodium and it worked pretty good for "D" & cramping.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Thanx, LauraSue new
      #103158 - 09/01/04 11:21 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Appreciate your input on this. The wierd thing is I have no history of allergies; have never been allergic to anything. Plus, my chiro has the ability to check my body and see if it is saying I'm overloaded in anything toxic or too much protein or nutrients, etc. And my back is the best it's been in a long time, and he's getting no reading of any overload which the Imodium would show up as something toxic/chemical if it was the culprit. Plus, the itchiness seems to be confined to just my neck. Last week is was just my tummy and back adn then that faded. So it's truly wierd. Anyway, I've totally stopped the Imodium and we'll see if every thing fades away and then go from there...Sure do value your advice!
Janene

#103163 - 09/01/04 11:38 AM
quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: West Texas

I was wondering just how many people use Immodium on a regular base? When I use half a tablet I have to be careful
or my D turn to C & then I'm really in trouble. Of course
I take Librax 3 to 4 times a day. For the Pep O . My dr. made me promise never to take it as if you have problem they can not tell if there is blood in your stools!
I can believe you can be Allergic to anything so!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review