All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
New here and need advice, please
      #10284 - 05/30/03 08:41 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

Hi. I'm brand new here and have a couple of questions, and am hoping to find someone who can "relate".

First, a little bit of my story: I 've had IBS for about two years, but was only just recently (March) diagnosed. I am the C,with nausea for 4-5 days, followed by D type of person. Never know when or where it's going to hit. That's the worst part. Either I'm sick from the nausea or I'm sick from the D!

Good news: Heather's eating guidelines have had me free of symptoms for three days now! (I've only started this on Monday.)

Bad news: Because of several months in a row of being sick and not knowing when or where "IT" would hit, I am now literally afraid to leave my house. I do when I have to but I find myself avoiding things as much as possible because I am afraid of an attack. The thought of being without access to a bathroom, or too far from one causes me incredible stress which then actually CAUSES an attack! Can anybody relate or am I just going nuts!

Questions: Has anybody seen the light at the end of the tunnel? Has anybody been where I am (afraid all the time of an attack)and gotten past it? ANY advice would surely be appreciated.

My husband is extremely supportive and understanding, but he simply cannot relate to what I feel (pain/urgency)or the fear of attacks. (Lucky man has an iron gut!) So I am really feeling very alone. My kids do not understand why I don't want to go to soccer games or class field trips. It's very sad.

Sorry this post is so long. I couldn't figure out how to shorten it!

Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here and need advice, please new
      #10286 - 05/30/03 08:58 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Gretchen: Welcome to the board, you've definitely found the right place. We all relate to everything you said. Once you stabilize you'll feel more comfortable going out, just stick with the diet. We all know where the emergency restrooms are, yesterday I hit a Circle K that I'd never been to before......lol. If you really need to go somewhere like the children's field trips, take a few immodium before leaving the house. Make sure you eat well the day before, ie no triggers. Start out with short trips out, to the store where you know where the bathrooms are. You'll start venturing out farther and longer, I promise.

#10288 - 05/30/03 09:29 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi & welcome to the board!

I can totally relate with you! I used to be terrified to leave the house. About 3 years ago, I can remember not being able to make it to the store only a 5 minute drive from my house, for fear of having an attack. I had started taking Caltrate with D for the urgency & it helped a little, but the thought of going out anywhere brought on an attack. I felt ridiculous! Here I am, a grown woman, afraid to leave my house for fear I'll have to go potty. I got so frustrated that I started going places by myself to get over the fear and figured whatever will happen will happen. That helped too. I could leave my house for little things, but forget about commitments! The thought of them brought on an attack. Then last fall I found Eating for IBS and between that and getting antispasmodic from my doc, I feel almost normal. My last hurdle was dealing with the anxiety. I started doing the hypno tapes, and they have really improved my anxiety. I'm still not 100%, but I am SO MUCH BETTER than just 2 months ago. I can't believe the difference.

Oh, and also about 1 1/2 month or so ago, I started taking Pepogest (enteric coated peppermint) in the morning. I kept having this burning/nausea feeling in my stomach every morning from like 7:30-10 or so. Since I started taking them, it seemed to go away.

So, you are not alone!

#10290 - 05/30/03 10:04 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I understand the never wanting to leave your house. I have that problem. A little over a year ago my stress level and IBS got so bad that it would, at least once a week, take me an hour to get work which is normally a 30 minute drive. I would be stuck here for hours after it was time to go home waiting for my stomach to settle and get my mind off of it. A lot of my trouble is triggered by my fear. I knew it was time to do something about it when I was scared to go shopping, my fave past time. I still HATE commits. I limit them to bare minimum. My husband and I bought a travel trailer so I would always have a toilet when we go out of town. I have a friend who lives on the other side of town, about 45 minutes to an hour away and there are lots of places to stop but I still won't drive over to her house. Lucky for me she's very understanding and comes to my house to see me. She's the only friend who is truly understanding. My husband, parents, and sister are great. I am currently trying to find ways to deal with the anxiety. The diet helps with the stomach but I have the D kind and I can eat safe foods and get the least bit stressed and BAM! I carry toilet seat covers, toilet paper, and wipes in my car. I also care a change of clothes, just in case. I haven't eaten in a restaruant since November last year. Coming here has helped. I have started going places that are close to my house to help get back my life. I swore 2 years ago that I would never let IBS take over my life and I have. I am determined to get my life back.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks, I guess there's hope... new
      #10292 - 05/30/03 10:24 AM
Gretchen

Thank you all. It helps just knowing that I am not the only person afraid to go places! I guess there is some hope that I will eventually get past this crazy anxiety. My doctor prescribed Prozac but I haven't taken any. I'd really rather not rely on a drug if I don't have to. I feel that if I can make my bm's "predictable" through fiber and diet than I will feel much, much safer. Of course that sounds great in theory...When I actually DO have an appointment or committment, the panic starts setting in...

Gretchen

Oh, how I would SO LOVE to be the "once every morning, whether I need it or not" type!

Re: Thanks, I guess there's hope... new
      #10293 - 05/30/03 10:29 AM
Laurie

I went to the doc to get meds to help with the anxiety and he wouldn't prescribe anything. He wanted to help me get the IBS under control to see if that would help the anxiety go away before he gave me anxiety medicine. He put me in a clinical study for IBS-D medicine and it actually helped me relax. Then study ended and I was supposed to go into the continuation and that was over a month ago.

Yes there is hope though. We can do it!

--------------------
Laurie

#10294 - 05/30/03 10:42 AM
Gretchen

Thank you. You're right. We CAN do it, one step at a time. I hate being afraid like this. I hate that my stomach ties in knots whenever I leave the house. I hate that this is controlling my life. There HAS to be a way to get past the anxiety.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes for you.
G

#10295 - 05/30/03 10:59 AM
Laurie

I ordered the hypnosis CDs/tapes, everyone has said that it can help with the anxiety.

--------------------
Laurie

anxiety disorders... new
      #10299 - 05/30/03 02:08 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

Hi Gretchen,
Many of us can relate to how your fear of leaving the house. I'm a sociology student and have studied these kinds of situations before, I'm not an expert but I do have a bit of knowledge on this. It is important to realize that the IBS and anxiety about leaving your house, although very related, are not the same thing. It is great that your IBS is getting better, and there is much to be hopeful about!!!! This being said, your panic about leaving the house will probably not just disappear, even if you are feeling better. It is going to take time to recondition yourself to be confident about going out, and that may take getting help from outside sources, like psychotherapy.
Many people with anxiety disorders, even if they are physically feeling well, work themselves up so much with fear that they become a self-fulling prophecy and this actually triggers an attack. Then it becomes a cycle, and they take that attack as confirmation that they can never go out again.

That being said, there is huge hope! Take baby steps, and just make sure you get help if you become discouraged! I'm glad your IBS is feeling better and I'm sure you'll make huge progress!
ken

Re: anxiety disorders... new
      #10300 - 05/30/03 02:49 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

I can definitely relate to the anxiety! One thing that I found helped me was medication. I know you don't want to rely on medicine but sometimes just to get you over that hill you need it. Sometimes it is better not to suffer.Then eventually when you start feeling better you can get off the medicine. I'm not saying medicine is the only answer of course diet comes first. I hope you feel better, just take it one day at a time. It will pass and it is only temporary thats what I kept telling myself when I was going through it.Each day will get better. Good Luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review