All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas, gas....and more gas! Help!
      #102622 - 08/30/04 12:35 PM
Rob

Reged: 08/29/04

Gas...What a nice way to begin :-) I'm a new member and this is my first post!

I have been diagnosed with IBS and my main symptom is gas/flatulence or whatever you want to call it! It's just plain embarrassing! Talk about a real pain in social/work situations! I know it could be much worse...my brother has Chron's Disease.

Aside from stress reduction, lactose avoidance (I was diagnosed with that too), I've tried acidophilus (Culturelle Brand) and Metamucil. When I take too much metamucil, my stomach really lets me know it!

This site is rather cool...I see some other things can help like a different soluble fiber or tea etc...can anyone share their ideas with me?

Thank you so much!

Rob

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas, gas....and more gas! Help! new
      #102632 - 08/30/04 01:00 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You can try things like GasX...those help a bit with the gas..

For me the biggest life saver has been Fennel tea...you should definately try it...it helps a lot!!

Good luck!!

#102633 - 08/30/04 01:00 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Rob,

I suffer as you do with gas, gas and more gas! I take the fiber supplement that Heather and company produces, Acacia. I have only been on it for a week so I can't give and good results as yet. I also take Citrucel caplets, for the time being, and Mylanta Gas. I have asked my doctor to advise me of something else that i can take.

I used to drink Fennel Tea throughtout the day, but it seemed to have made my gas more pronounced! So, I take a Fennel capsule instead.

I take a soluble fiber (Acacia and a Mylanta Gas tab) time my feet hit the floor in the mornings. I am incorporating more soluble and insouble fiber into my diet. Heather has great recipes in her books, (IBS the First Year and Eating For IBS) and the board has a host of recipes that you could try.

That's about as much advise as I can give you at this time, as I know exactly how you feel. Passing gas "all" the time and being very embarrased at the odor of it.

You have come to the right place though, there are people on this site that will give you much better advise. This is the most understanding, loving, concerned, Caring, Advising bunch of folk that you would ever want to meet.

Hang in there, someone on this board will give you excellent advise as to what you can try for this problem.

I feel your pain, and I wish you the best.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

welcome Rob new
      #102647 - 08/30/04 01:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am gassy too in general. These things help me:
staying regular
not eating too much at once or eating heavy things (baked goods I can only eat in small portions throughout the day)
exercise
not eating too fast
tummy tea especially fennel based
*getting up and moving around right after dinner*
giving up all trigger foods and drinks
this one I haven't mastered: going to the bathroom when needed and not when convenient

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#102670 - 08/30/04 03:07 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Rob, not much to add just wanted to say hi!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Hey, welcome! new
      #102675 - 08/30/04 03:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't got much to add either, but I wanted to say hi and welcome!

Welcome, Rob new
      #102683 - 08/30/04 03:45 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I get gas a lot, too. I also have to watch the lactose. I take a lactaid pill before I use any dairy. Most people with IBS can't eat any dairy. Did you know dairy can be hidden in lots of things. Be sure to read all labels.

I assume you are staying away from gas producing foods, not gulping drinks or drinking from a straw. Also, sometimes changing fiber supplements can help.

I take OTC Phazyme and it really does help me.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#102707 - 08/30/04 05:34 PM
Rob

Reged: 08/29/04

Dear "those who replied"

Thanks for all the great replies! I was rather surprised at how many people wrote back so quickly...what a great community of people!

I'll be back to read more and share more!

Rob

#102709 - 08/30/04 05:47 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hey Rob- welcome! take heart- lots of us share this problem and many have given good suggestions to help--I have tried OTC stuff and it seems pepto caplets and ginger tea are the things that work for me--but others can give you more help I am sure--feel good!

Re: Welcome, Rob new
      #102756 - 08/30/04 10:03 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hey Rob, I take Hyoscyamine/Levsin every day for the gas. Everything I eat gives me gas, so my doc told me to just take it every day. And wow, no more gas. Social situations are very stressful when you suffer from gas, OH how I know that, hehehe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5089 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review