All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New User high stomach pain
      #102395 - 08/29/04 03:41 PM
Liney

Reged: 08/29/04

Hi, first let my say how helpful the website and this forum has been for me. I am going to try to keep this short and to the point. I'm 23 have had IBS (even though I didn't call it that) for 2.5 years. I've never been formally diagnosed, but I have had a few things ruled out by the dr, so I am pretty certain. First let me say that I hope I don't aggrevate ya'll with mentioning the same things others have already. I did the search and found a lot, but still have more questions. I have C and D and go between both. Neither is very severe, the worst is the pain. In fact, the pain was all I had for the first, well, more than a year. I thought I had an ulcer, but tests showed I didn't. The symtom is the same as some others I've read on this board, pain in the left middle under the ribcage. That is mostly just gnawing, but when it really gets bad, especially in the evening it is like a really severe gas pain that doubles me over. It doesn't feel like gas though, cause it doesn't go anywhere! It stay for the most part in the same area, with pain that is not as severe surrounding it. Another thing is a desire to belch, but not being able to. The short and narrow is: Is pain high in the stomach really IBS? Really I just want assurance. Although the pain can be severe everyday (though not all day)for weeks, I have gone months without problems, pretty much eating what I want. Oh yeah, I wanted to ask if any of you are still able to eat dairy. I seem to be able to consume skim milk and even low fat cheese without a problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New User high stomach pain new
      #102399 - 08/29/04 03:49 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, and welcome, Liney.

Your description of your stomach pain that doubles you over sounds EXACTLY like me. It was also the only symptom I had for years. I think you'll find that following the diet here and starting a soluble fiber supplement will help a lot. And for the double you over pain, I would suggest Mylanta Liquid and if that doesn't work, Gas-X or Phazyme. But the best thing is to prevent it by following the diet.

As far as dairy, even fat free dairy has the proteins that trigger IBS. You may think you're eating it with no problem when it's actually triggering you a day or two later. I would strongly suggest giving it up even though some people here will say they can still eat it. It's just not worth it when there are so many other yummy things we can eat that are so much safer for us!

Oh, and also, even though you've had tests done and you're pretty sure it's IBS, at some point you should probably have a doctor confirm it, just to make sure it's not something else that could be easily treated.

Welcome and keep coming back, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Welcome, Liney... new
      #102414 - 08/29/04 04:32 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

You have found a great place for help & advice for IBS. I had something similar to you a few years ago. Gnawing pain in upper stomach. I had all the tests done, too, thinking it was an ulcer. It wasn't. Doc gave me some prescription Pepcid for stomach acid and told me to eat low fat and not to overeat. I did and it really helped. Sometimes that type of pain can be trapped gas, too. Phazyme helps me with that.

I can eat a small amount of dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. But, since you are having problems, I would cut out the dairy for now and see what happens.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#102425 - 08/29/04 06:32 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

Try Ginger root caps for the gas you're experiencing, it really does break it up and is harmless.
I would also try a digestive enzyme capsule-either pancreatin or a low does veg enzyme such as Absorbaid.
You also may have trouble digesting fats so I would add artichoke capsules or silymarin (or both).

Steve -- new
      #102471 - 08/29/04 09:04 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You are so full of information on supplements, on this post and others. What do you do?
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#102499 - 08/30/04 05:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I get that pain there, too. Two things really help me. Peppermint tea, and the yoga poses for relieving gas. Lie on your back on the floor. Pull one knee to your chest and hold it there (leaver your other leg outstretched on the floor). Alternate legs - hold for a good 30 seconds each time.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#102514 - 08/30/04 07:32 AM
Liney

Reged: 08/29/04

Thanks for all the replies and advice, you all really know you stuff!

Re: Steve -- new
      #102656 - 08/30/04 02:33 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

I actually managed vitamin stores for 10 years in Cali and I am a certified Nutritionist. Currently I work in electronics because it can be difficult to find nutrition related jobs at times but everyone comes to me for nutrition advice!
I really should open an office but my finances wont allow for potential dry spells.

#102698 - 08/30/04 05:09 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

Liney

Welcome and boy can I relate. I have terrible stomach pain in exactly the same place--I have been treated for costochondritis (inflamation of the cartilage of the ribcage), reflux, had several unpleasant tests that found nothing. I have also self-diagnosed myself with IBS-A although Im working on finding a new GI for confirmation. Im letting you know all of this to say that this diet and advice does help. I have been doing the diet for about 5 weeks and was doing well until a few days ago. I accidentally slipped--I was getting too careless and had a couple of cold drinks. Stick with it and you'll see results. The people on this board are so knowledgeable and so willing to give you help--you can ask anything. Take care.
Missy

#102702 - 08/30/04 05:23 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

welcome! Can't believe how many people have this pain_-I also had it very badly for about a year--due to stress- drank ginger tea and took anti gas meds and ate low fat- Have not had a recurrence since then--my dr said it was trapped gas that could not be released---very painful-hope you feel better soon- I swear by ginger tea!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review