All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble Fiber Preparations Not Working for Me
      #101618 - 08/26/04 12:14 PM
stevan

Reged: 04/26/04

During the past four months I have had my "C" relieved by the use of soluble fiber powders. Even though the "C" was relieved, it was replaced by nearly constant and debilitating spasms, cramps, lower back pain, BLOATING and lower intestinal pressure to the point of nearly disabling me.

As a result, I have tried stopping the soluble fiber. The symptoms have abated, but now I am once again dealing with "C." I know that many people have the same problem with the powders. However, what do you do to replace the powders to keep you stabilized?

Thank you for any response.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble Fiber Preparations Not Working for Me new
      #101623 - 08/26/04 12:21 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Stevan, I'm a D, but my understanding is that SFS are only part of the solution. You also need to safely incorporate lots of insoluble fiber into soluble fiber meals, drink lots of water, and exercise. Is it possible that you're not doing all those things?

Feel better soon!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#101700 - 08/26/04 02:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Whoa! SFS should not make you double over in pain with cramping. Which one were you taking? I would suggest trying another one. Try Heather's Acacia, or lots of people on the board like citrucel or equalactin. If it's one of these you're taking, try another one. Also, here's some information on the dosage. Make sure you start small and work your way up. Too much too soon can cause this problem. web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#101719 - 08/26/04 04:04 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I have a feeling you just took too much too soon. The purpose of the SFS is not to "relieve" the C the way a laxative does. It's to gently and slowly restore proper function to your intestines. You want to start with a VERY small dose then work up very slowly to the full amount. And you'll then want to keep taking them as part of your daily regimen for life. So you don't "replace" the powders with anything.

As Christine said, you also have to avoid trigger foods and as a C you need to eat enough INSOLUBLE fiber and drink enough water and get enough exercise every day for the rest of your life. This won't go away, it has to be managed daily.

So give it another try, okay?? And let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101731 - 08/26/04 04:32 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

I have C and I first tried doing the powder but could not keep up with drinking that stuff every night so I do the pills and I am now doing two in the morning and two at night...eventually I will gto to three times a day - and I have had no problems witht hose...

--------------------
Donell

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 650

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review