All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this IBS?
      #101447 - 08/25/04 09:31 PM
dbh2000

Reged: 08/25/04

Hello. I have been having some sort of digestion problem for the past couple of years. The symptoms have been getting worse over time. The first symptoms were intestinal gas then occasional constipation and diarrhea. Later came severe stomach gas/belching and occasional acid reflux. Many times I would have unpredictable and explosive diarrhea. Now I rarely have a normal bowel movement and when I do it is immediately follow by diarrhea. I am usually bloated, gaseous and slightly nauseous after eating anything. Sometimes I have severe pain, nausea, sweating and constipation and I have actually lost consciousness three times (in the past two years) while writhing on the toilet. The pain does not subside until I have expelled the last of the oatmeal-like stool. Recently, I have been getting synchronized shooting pains in my gut and rectum (no kidding, they happen at the exact same instant). I am always fatigued. I have never had blood in the stool. I have always had and continue to keep a normal weight. My wonderful HMO doctor said it is due to stress. Any help is appreciated. Please be nice.

David

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this IBS? new
      #101450 - 08/25/04 09:51 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Sounds like it could be IBS as well as several other things. Maybe you could insist on some further testing to find out for sure?

One way that I can tell that I have IBS is that the problem mostly occurs during social events or stressful situations.

#101462 - 08/26/04 02:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Be nice? We're always nice. Welcome to the boards, David. Hope we can help you, and hope you'll stick around!

It does sound like it could be IBS, along with another thing or two (acid reflux, for example, is not a symptom of IBS). There are a few tests you should have, though, to rule out other serious conditions - you can find the list right here. In the meantime, what to eat when you can't eat anything will likely provide you with *relatively* quick and completely safe and natural relief from your symptoms.

Good luck, feel better, and welcome to the boards!

just saying welcome, everyone else gave good advice, nt new
      #101471 - 08/26/04 05:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#101526 - 08/26/04 08:24 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Welcome Aboard!

I am sorry you are feeling crappy at this time, but as you have been told by others on the board; you bneed to have your doc do test to rule out anything other than IBS.

You will feel better mentally when you know exactly what you are dealing with physically.

You can come to these boards anytime, these are the greatest bunch of folk you would ever want to meet and very informative.

See ya doc and hang in there. Take it from me it will get better.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#101569 - 08/26/04 09:42 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

David, you poor guy! Welcome to the board -- this is the best place on earth!!!

It is most likely IBS, which is certainly triggered by stress. It could be other things, but for now let's assume it's IBS. Our very own Heather has pain predominant IBS and if I remember right has even passed out from the pain. You poor guy!!

So, as Casey said, first things first! Follow the breaking the cycle diet for two or three days. Read the list of triggers and eliminate as many as you can immediately and set yourself goals for eliminating the rest of them. And start your own personal taste test to find a soluble fiber supplement you and your body likes.

Finally, keep coming back here for support, encouragement and virtual hugs {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.

Feel better, kiddo!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review