All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
more about bloating -please help
      #101336 - 08/25/04 02:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think I posted before about getting bloated for a period of time at night. This is continuing. I wake up to pee and I am hugely bloated! Even when I am fine during the day I find that I am bloating for some time every night (I think an hour or two around midnight or so). So does anyone else get this? And does anyone know why or what to do? I generally feel like eating a little something and having a chug of choc soy milk for some reason. It always goes away and mornings are my best time. Is this strange?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: more about bloating -please help new
      #101401 - 08/25/04 05:45 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

I do share these symptoms but not every nite--I wake up and sometimes I look like I am about 4 months pregnant--I go two or so times a nite, and each time, my stomach shrinks down a bit until it looks totally flat--only to bloat up again perhaps the next day--I also get hungry at nite and usually have oatmeal or some choc soy milk--same as you!! I think the bloating at nite might be the fact that we are not moving around and the circulation in the body is very slow--eventually, the body gets rid of the air/gas that is blocked and your stomach goes back to normal--just a guess.

#101405 - 08/25/04 06:00 PM
Little Minnie

Do you think we have a nighttime carb addiction? I tried breaking it once but gave up. Sometimes I do sleep through the night or sometimes I don't eat anything but often I do. I mean since you said that I am wondering about the snacking and whether there are cravings. Do you know what I mean?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#101448 - 08/25/04 09:33 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hmmm, that sounds like the opposite of what happens to me. I go all day with a big tummy and then at night while I sleep, it flattens. All I have to do is eat a bite of food in the morning and my stomach is totally sticking out again.

It's weird because before I found this board, I thought I was crazy! My stomach would bloat out everytime I ate.....especially when my dietician put me on a special diet. She told me that my stomach shouldn't be doing that and she couldn't help me because I had such "odd" symptoms.

After reading these boards, it sounds pretty common to me!

#101583 - 08/26/04 10:09 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Tamara, I've come to the conclusion that NOTHING to do with IBS is strange!!! I don't have those particular symptoms, but I do want to mention one thing relating to the nighttime food cravings. I've read that one theory for certain symptoms of my fibromyalgia is nighttime hypoglycemia. Maybe you should try a snack with a little fat, protein or insoluble fiber a hour or so before going to bed, something that will "stick to your ribs" like our grandmothers used to say! Just a thought.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101763 - 08/26/04 05:43 PM
ibsfla

not sure--but I can tell you that I am actually hungry when I eat at night--probably since I don't eat a big dinner- but I can't go back to sleep unless I eat something so the hunger goes away--hmmm..don't think it is a bad thing

#101764 - 08/26/04 05:45 PM
ibsfla

yup- you are right--if I eat some cereal or hot oatmeal before bed, I do not wake up hungry in the middle of the nite--the suggestion you gave does work for me too.

#101929 - 08/27/04 10:36 AM
Little Minnie

I had a bowl of cereal last night before bed and did not wake up bloated. I was bloated in the late evening though.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 973

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review