All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about headaches
      #101088 - 08/24/04 06:40 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

Ever since I started the diet (4 weeks) ia hev had horrible headaches - I also get migraines as well. I use to take Excedrin but it has caffine (high dosage too) in it so I am trying not to take it but it was the only thing that ever worked...any suggestions on what others are doing for headaches if they are experiencing them????

THANKS!! all

--------------------
Donell

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about headaches - LauraSue? new
      #101746 - 08/26/04 04:59 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey girlie!

Weren't you having probs with migraines before? Thought maybe you had some advice on this?

Hope you're doing well, BTW!

#101756 - 08/26/04 05:18 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Mags! Unfortunately, got one today, but first one in 10 days which is the best I've done since June!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: question about headaches new
      #101758 - 08/26/04 05:25 PM
LauraSue

Donell, did you used to drink coffee or tea or soda a lot before you started the diet 4 weeks ago? If so, you might be getting caffeine withdrawal headaches. The solution to that is to start drinking it again and then taper off slowly. (Well, Heather would say just wait it out, but in you and me, regular headaches trigger migraines which are more serious than IBS.)

Now, did you take Excedrin for the regular headaches or for migraines or both? And have you been officially diagnosed with migraines by a doctor? If so, the best thing to do is talk to him or her. We're not doctors here and can't give medical advice.

But here's what I do, just FYI.

1. For a regular mild headache, two extra strength Tylenol usually does the trick.

2. For a bad headache that feels like it might turn into a migraine, I take one Aleve plus one Imodium because the Aleve gives me D.

3. For a migraine I have a prescription for Imitrex which really works for me.

Hope this helps and if I already answered this somewhere else, my apologies for the duplication. I'm a little fuzzy today!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#102026 - 08/27/04 03:59 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm sorry you haven't gotten them under control all the way yet! Hopefully you will have a bigger stretch this time than 10 days.

Hope you're feeling better today. I'm sending good vibes up to you.

#102057 - 08/27/04 06:16 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

Last year I was going through one bottle of excedrin (50 pills) almost every week - I had gotten to the point where my body was use to getting that much caffine so if I did not get a headache I did not take it and then I would get a headache from no caffine - etc etc I finally got off it after talking with my doctor and I tried Imitrix all the way up to the top dose and it did nothing for me so he put me on Duradrin (I think is what it was called) and it worked well and I took tylenol for headaches first if it got worse then I took the duradrin. I had to get off the medication briefly last year because I was pregnant and never got back on it cause never had really bad headaches - until recently...
And yes I use to drink tons of coffee maybe 3-4 cups a day sometimes more, no soda really except with alcohol but even that ws not much - so when I started this diet I stopped cold turkey with the coffee and it has been hard - and when they got bad I took excedrin and now I thnk my body is hooked again...
I have to start taking tylenol again when I feel a headache and I know I will get away from the caffine withdrawls - it is just hard...
Thanks for your reply...
Oh and yes I have been diagnosed with migraines...and yes I would much rather have a ibs attack then go through 2-3 days of a constant migraine!!!!!!!

--------------------
Donell

#102158 - 08/28/04 08:33 AM
LauraSue

You're welcome, Donell! Let's hope we both have a headache free week!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2460 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review