All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A very important lesson learned
      #101009 - 08/24/04 01:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Here is what NOT to do, boys and girls:

You follow Heather's diet to the LETTER, no cheats. You work up to a good daily dose of a soluble fiber supplement. You find yourself - oh my god! - starting to resemble a normal person again. You still don't feel great all the time or anything, and in fact, you still have bad days here and there, but you don't have D for a month and you don't have C for a few weeks... which means you start to relax a little and worry less about leaving the house.

And then you COMPLETELY screw it all up by not taking your SFS. For almost a week.

*hangs head in shame*

In my defense, I was having a lot of problems with nausea, and I just couldn't choke the stuff down. I was also not eating as well - no insolubles, basically - because I felt so sick. But that week or so was enough to really throw my body out of whack. I've gotten back on track, and I've been eating my insolubles. I also worked back up to taking 8g/day of my SFS again, same as before. Know what? Doesn't matter. I'm C anyway. And in pain, and feeling sick. And really, really irritated that I did this to myself.

So anyway, here's my point:

Follow Heather's diet, DO NOT CHEAT. Take a soluble fiber supplement, work up to a dose your body likes. You WILL feel better. And then once you feel better, STICK WITH IT AT ALL COSTS. Because bad days (like I'm having today) feel a thousand times worse when you were getting used to feeling GOOD again.

As Bev would say... worms.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A very important lesson learned new
      #101011 - 08/24/04 01:56 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Oh dear oh dear!! It's really annoying isn't it when you know you should do something but you don't. However we are only human and we all mess up ... a lot! (says the girl who has just eaten too many Pringles!)At least you are back on track and know what went wrong and I'm sure you will feel much better soon. Remember what it felt like to feel good and don't worry about it.

One tip - buy a swingball and whack the hell out of it when you are feeling annoyed. Another trick that sort of works for me when I am feeling sick is to tell my body to throw up rather than just waiting (I do the same if I feel faint - tell myself to faint) It never happens and eventually my body gets bored of it. It's like my worse fear is being sick, so if I stop caring about it its not as bad. Look after yourself and try to enjoy the rest of your day.

Catherine

#101036 - 08/24/04 03:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't feel bad, sweetie... at least not in your head. Your symptoms I know feel bad. I screw up all the time. Dust yourself off, and get back on track. I find now that it's really easy to get back on track, and it works quickly, probalby because I've done it so many flipping times!!!!!!@#$%%

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#101051 - 08/24/04 04:36 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Don't be to hard on yourself Casey!

I get the nausea thing to and sometimes its hard to get past. At least you know what to do to get on the mends again.

Hope you feel better soon

Kim

#101053 - 08/24/04 04:42 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Casey,

We've ALL been there! We ALL fall off the wagon. At least you were able to get back on...you go girl!

I hope that this will deter someone (maybe me?) from eating or doing something they should NOT do (for me...that would be eating wheat or gluten). Maybe you can call me and remind me the next I want some bread?

Thanks so much for this post...but PLEASE don't feel bad! You're totaly human!

Happy Tuesday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#101056 - 08/24/04 04:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Damn, I'm having a bad day too. Hang in there and take your fibre!

Ruchie? No Wheat? new
      #101062 - 08/24/04 05:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I hope that this will deter someone (maybe me?) from eating or doing something they should NOT do (for me...that would be eating wheat or gluten). Maybe you can call me and remind me the next I want some bread? Hi Sweetie. Don't let not eating wheat or gluten get you down. It's easier to do than you think. I've been doing it now (off and on...see I've fallen off the wagon too) for over 25 years. The trick is NOT to get board with the commercial GF breads. Start baking yourself, for yourself and you'll be in bread and baked goodies heaven. I have yet to master an awesome pizza dough, but some day I'll get there...and you can make almost any of Heather's recipes using the wheat alt. flours...(rice/potato starch/tapioca and others). If you're bad I'll be right over to get you back on track...after all..I grew up in Phoenix!!! Come to Vegas in Oct..why don't you?....meet Heather, and I'll promise to keep you away from all the baked buffet tempting treats!!!

Yep, Casey..you have to have a Stick-to-it attitude to succeed with this diet...but in the long run, it's well worth it.

Kandee

--------------------

Casey, sorry about the setback.... new
      #101075 - 08/24/04 06:12 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

So sorry you had a setback. You are back on track now and there is no stopping you!

Don't be so hard on yourself. You were sick and couldn't follow the diet very well. It happens to all of us at some time or the other.

You are one of the most determined people on the boards and I know you will get better because of your great outlook.

Sending you hugs to help you feel better.

Barbie

--------------------

#101134 - 08/25/04 05:27 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Aww! Casey, don't be so hard on yourself! We all have to learn things the hard way sometimes... although I'm sorry you're not feeling well again. At least now you know and won't make that mistake again. As IBSers I have a feeling we'll be making lots of mistakes throughout our lives and constantly learning from them. So as long as you learn from this it's really a good thing, right?? Okay, so I'm rationalizing! But feel better soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks, everyone! new
      #101147 - 08/25/04 05:59 AM
atomic rose

You do know how to cheer a girl up. Thanks for all the kind words and well-wishes... every time I have a day like yesterday, I'm *especially* thankful to have found all you guys, 'cause I really don't have anyone here who really understands.

I think I'd be less hard on myself if I had just *cheated* and eaten something stupid. That's understandable. But even while I was telling newbies to take the SFS because it really works, I wasn't taking mine. I feel like a total hypocrite - LOL!

Oh well. I'm paying for it now. I spent most of yesterday in bed because of the pain, and today's looking like a repeat of yesterday. I'm dense sometimes, but I've learned.

Thanks again, everyone - y'all rock!

Re: Casey! new
      #101162 - 08/25/04 06:43 AM
CathUK

Sorry you are feeling so bad. I might be wrong, but for me staying in bed is the worst thing I can do. If you go for a gentle walk you will stretch out your stomach muscles and get your system moving and working a bit better (I can never go to the loo without a good walk!). Besides, you need some distractions, it doesn't help to think about the pain/nausea too much.

Take care of yourself please!!

Catherine

Cath! new
      #101185 - 08/25/04 08:18 AM
atomic rose

I actually did get out and go for a walk yesterday... it was after that that I ended up in so much pain. Sometimes light exercise seems to help, but sometimes it seems like it makes things worse. I'll be distracted, though - I have to spend today writing.

PS - I can't wait to get this project done with, so I can start knitting holiday presents. Whee! Talk about distractions...

#101186 - 08/25/04 08:18 AM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hi--so sorry you are struggling with pain these days--thanks for sharing your suggestions to others even when you are suffering...you know you are on the right track again, so hang in there---hugs to you...

RUCHIE !!!!! HI !!!!! -nt- new
      #101190 - 08/25/04 08:26 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Cath! new
      #101205 - 08/25/04 08:50 AM
CathUK

Oh no, that's really not fair! I hope it gets better soon. Good luck with the writing and hope you enjoy the knitting.

#101220 - 08/25/04 09:19 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Sorry this is so late in comeing. I hope your feeling better. It is so hard not to cheat UGG. You have been such a wonderfull help to me thank you. Just snuggel up with your heating pad (it has seen more action from me than my husband lately LOL) and relax as much as you can you'll feel better soon. Those food ideas you sent me have helped alot thanks. Good luck with your writing.
BIG HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Casey, Thanks for the post... new
      #101228 - 08/25/04 09:38 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Casey, I have done the same thing. The only difference is that I do not take SF anymore. I just couldnt choke it down another day, besides even the smallest dose would send me back into A, with very soft movements. Not D really.

The trip we just returned from, I was BAD, OH SO BAD !
At the time I enjoyed the food, knowing I was going to be so sick by the time I returned home. I have been home 4 days and still do not feel the best. Right now I am cooking chicken breast to make some chicken and rice to last for a few days so I can have something cooked to eat.

You are so right, 2 weeks of total abandon is not worth the suffering I am doing right now.

I have been on rice for 3 days, my tummy is starting to settle down, the nausea comes and goes, I have peppermint tea, and black cherry berry (Celestial Seas,it is oh so good) in the fridge and constantly drinking. I have a glass of water sitting beside my Pep.tea and drinking both.

Anyway, I digress. The reason I am writing this is to tell you thanks for your post and inspiring me to try the SFS once again. You are so special, I always look forward to reading your posts. I know you are looking forward to your big move, do like Bev did and get some stuff cooked up and in the freezer (if you have room) so you will have some quick easy meals when you get hungry. Take care of yourself girl.

PS, been to any good garage sales lately? It is too hot here, and I am not good at getting up early to get the good stuff lately.

Gayla! new
      #101239 - 08/25/04 10:31 AM
atomic rose

You poor thing! I'm so sorry you still aren't feeling any better. That really is the pits. It stinks that we can't just pretend we're ok and magically BE OK, doesn't it?? Ugh. Well, take care of *you* and I hope you really do feel much better, very soon.

I haven't done a whole lot of yard sales - the weather here has STUNK for sales! It rains every weekend! But a few weeks ago, Adam and I did get to one sale, and I hit the jackpot: I found a vintage 1950s prom dress, and I got it for $1!!! I almost fainted!! It's simple but really pretty, and it fits me like a glove... I have no use for the thing, but I can't bring myself to resell it just yet... it's baby blue lace over peach taffeta, so pretty! Ok, ok, I'll stop babbling now! Haha. I hear you on early mornings, though, too. About the earliest I can get my bones outta bed is about 8am, which means hitting the sales no sooner than 9, which means the good stuff is usually gone. Ah well. I guess someone up there is hinting that I shouldn't be spending my money.

Hope today is better.... new
      #101254 - 08/25/04 11:30 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Aww Casey, so sorry you were under yesterday....please don't get too down on yourself...it's so easy to cheat, especially if we've had some good days behind our belt...we seem to think we're healed and we can eat and do anything....but alas! That doesn't seem to be the case for so many of us.
Sure hope today you're doing a little better and that each day gets you closer to getting back on track again. And Casey, DON'T be too hard on yourself. You've been doing so well overall and that's what counts!
God Speed!
Janene

#101274 - 08/25/04 12:31 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hiya
I hope you feel better soon!
Niki
xxx

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1005 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2681

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review