All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Formal Introduction
      #100741 - 08/23/04 07:22 PM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

Hello group. This is the first website that has given me tons of recipes, knowledge, and others like myself. I was formally diagnosed after years of already knowing I had IBS. When I read through some of the information, it breaks my heart knowing there are people who can't eat some of the things I love to munch on everyday, e.g. sugar!, red meat, etc.. But I guess that can work both ways.

I can only sleep on my back. My doc has started me on imapram and ranitidine. It's been doing good except when I get too adventurous(orange marmalade)or when I accidently toss and turn at night. I just wish he would of told me to start the fiber diet. I found out the hard way and I do mean hard.

When I read the recipes, I find tons of stuff that I can't touch, like tomatoes. Am I the only one who has to read through these carefully? And what's up with tabasco sauce and chili? I wouldn't dare touch these.
Anyone try NuLev yet? It didn't help me and I took 2 pills.

Nice to meet yall!

Quote:

Jesus died for our sins so lets get our money's worth.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey, welcome! new
      #100749 - 08/23/04 07:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards! Feel totally free to ask any questions that might come up... we love to help.

And no, you're not the only one who has to read through recipes carefully. The problem with IBS is that it's highly individualized, as far as what people can tolerate (and what's a trigger). I can eat that spicy stuff, but sugar (which, by the way, is not a trigger!) just kills me. Egg whites are fine for most of us, but not me. On the other hand, I can eat beans like crazy and never have to touch a gas-x, so I guess it all evens out.

Anyway, welcome!

A Formal Welcome To You Turrtle :) -nt- new
      #100750 - 08/23/04 08:01 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Formal Introduction new
      #100759 - 08/23/04 09:10 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Welcome To the boards!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#100777 - 08/24/04 04:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

welcome, jump right in.. everyone has different triggers and issues from what I have been able to learn.. even my doctor acknowledges that... its why I am going through a testing phase...

I've never had problems with beans and hot peppers (though I think too much heat may be an issue now) but I was raised on that stuff, whereas I've had problems with red meat since childhood among other things.. yogurt was always another big trigger for me...

we each have to find our personal triggers and then use the recipes here and elsewhere to help us find safe foods to make and eat.. the idea behind the recipe boards is it includes enough options and variants that people can find things they can safely eat or get help making a recipe safe for them...

as to NuLev- I've been on it awhile, I have to take 2 at a time, not one.. and I use it as needed- when I eat a trigger food by accident or something else triggers me... it doesn't stop everything I take immodium or other meds as needed, including gas x but it does help with the muscle spasms themselves... since i outright feel those and they can keep me awake among other things, and also sometimes makes the D less urgent when I get D attacks because the spasms that cause the urgency are reduced.

Good luck... Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#100783 - 08/24/04 04:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey welcome!

Yep, we all have to go through recipes looking for our own personal triggers! Or adding in stuff we CAN eat - like I cope with higher fat foods than some people. Have a look through the recipe index - ther's stuff in there for everybody.

What SFS are you on?

Why can you only sleep on your back?

Hi, Turrtle and Welcome! -nt- new
      #100788 - 08/24/04 05:08 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

#100797 - 08/24/04 06:22 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Turrtle,

I'm Nel. I'm new too. The people on these boards are very kind and suportive, and they're full of good information too. I'd never met anyone with IBS before I started posting here! It's really nice to have somebody to talk to, so post away!

Dairy, fruit and vegs are triggers for me, but I can eat green vegs if they're cooked within an inch of their life. Beans and tomatoes? Ha hahaha, *wiping tear of laughter*. Totally out of the question for me, too! Everyone's different. Scan the recipes, and you'll come up with great ideas...!

Nice to meet you, and welcome!

~nel~

#100805 - 08/24/04 06:51 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A lot of people have trouble with tomatoes - they're highly acidic. Treat them as insoluble fibre - that is, peel, puree and cook them. They're much easier to tolerate. Oh and add a dash of sugar - it helps lower the acidity.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

SFS? new
      #100899 - 08/24/04 10:00 AM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

I don't know what a SFS is. When I told my doctor how sleeping on my side affected me like a trigger food, he finally decided to agree with me on the IBS diagnose. I've met a lot of people with IBS since I moved to South Carolina. I try to help them out as best I can. I finally got my motorcycle on the road and I'm feeling free. Too many years have been wasted sitting in this cave feeling depressed.

Re: SFS? new
      #100910 - 08/24/04 10:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

feel better soon- SFS is a soluble fiber supplement... I use benefiber, some people use acacia and a variety of other fibers instead

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4898 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review