All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
strange question
      #100694 - 08/23/04 04:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Of course I don't eat red meat, but I heard elk is super low in fat and it is at a restaurant I am going to next month. Does anyone know anything about elk? Is it hard to digest because of the "chewiness" for lack of a better word?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: strange question new
      #100700 - 08/23/04 04:57 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You can try what I do: convince your dining companion to order it so you can have just a bite. You can order your own safe dish and not get sick!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#100727 - 08/23/04 06:05 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Tamara!

This question came up recently and unfortunately Heather said it would contain the same large fat molecules that make other red meat a problem even tho it's lower fat than beef.

So it's a trigger. Sorry.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#100728 - 08/23/04 06:13 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

See, if it was actual wild game meat, I would tell you to give it a shot. But since you're having it in a restaurant, that means it's commercially farm-raised. Even though it's lower in fat than beef, it's still a lot higher in fat than wild. I would do what Amanda suggested, and have a nibble of someone else's, if you really want to try it.

I ate *wild* game meats for years, and never had any problems with them. In fact, I had moose about a month ago, and was fine with it. I realize that "red meat is red meat" and they're all considered trigger foods, though, so... use your discretion, I guess.

That's okay new
      #100745 - 08/23/04 07:49 PM
Little Minnie

I was just curious as to the nature of elk. But I will look again at the menu. It is a fancy place and yet very family like and small so I might be able to get something specific made for me. Has anyone ever done that? Have you talked about your diet restrictions when you make a reservation? Ok I went back to the website and found a scallop dish that looks okay or I can substitute tofu and all I have to do is request no cilantro.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#100764 - 08/23/04 09:25 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I don't have any trouble with Buffalo, Deer, or Elk. Then again, I don't have any trouble with lean ground beef and lean steaks either. Only the really fatty meats.

#100765 - 08/23/04 09:27 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

PS-I noticed that you are from Big Lake - I'm not too far away....about 45 minutes.

Re: That's okay new
      #100871 - 08/24/04 09:11 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

I was just curious as to the nature of elk. But I will look again at the menu. It is a fancy place and yet very family like and small so I might be able to get something specific made for me. Has anyone ever done that? Have you talked about your diet restrictions when you make a reservation? Ok I went back to the website and found a scallop dish that looks okay or I can substitute tofu and all I have to do is request no cilantro.

Sure, I ask for something specific made for me all the time! Of course I had to overcome my Midwestern upbringing to get that assertive!! But I'm a New Yawker now so fuhgeddaboudit!! Heather actually recommends telling waiters you need something "low fat, no red meat, no dairy." So repeat after me, "low fat, no red meat, no dairy, please!!"

Scallops sound terrific and I had cilantro too. Did you know that a study has actually shown that liking or disliking cilantro is actually something genetic! People with the gene like it and people without the gene HATE it!!

Good luck with the restaurant!! And have fun!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#100888 - 08/24/04 09:37 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

LS --
I actually read the same thing about distaste for cilantro being genetic, like being able to roll your tongue! Now we can stop looking down on our non-cilantro-eating friends as uncultured culinary idiots! (not that I ever thought that to begin with ...)

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#101044 - 08/24/04 04:15 PM
Little Minnie

Everyone has an herb they don't like. Hubby hates flat leaf parsley, I know a lot of people hate rosemary or tarragon. But I think with cilantro it is a disgust like none other!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review