All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia
      #100652 - 08/23/04 02:24 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I started taking the Acacia (1/4 measuring tspn.) yesterday, Sunday, in the USA. I drank 9ozs of warm water with the Acacia in it and again last night and this morning.

I had been on Citrucel which gave me severe bloating and gas prior to ordering the Acacia, but it did help a great deal with my bms.

I was wondering about how long will it take my body to adjust to the Acacia? I am not expecting an overnight miracle, but just in general .... two weeks, three, four?

I am looking forward to the Acacia eventually ending by bloating and gas problem. I must say, I have only taken it for 1 1/2 day and the gas has been far less than when I was taking the Citrucel. Of course, the bloating has not gotten better yet but I am sure it will over time.

I will up the dosage on Friday of this week to 1/2 (measuring) tspn. That is a six day time frame; Is this reasonable?

Any feed back?

Thanks.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Edited by Lene (08/23/04 02:26 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia new
      #100656 - 08/23/04 02:47 PM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

I don't know how much this will help, since everyone is different, but I increased the acacia from 1 tsp. up to 1 T. (3 x a day) in about two weeks. It helped a lot, and every other thing I'd tried (Metamucil, etc.) not only worsened my IBS symptoms, but made me feel like I was going to gag. I feel like the acacia has helped me enormously.

#100659 - 08/23/04 03:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think you could even increase a little quicker than that, if you wanted to. Or do this first increase like you had planned, and if it goes well, do your next increase sooner.

I can't tell you what I did in teaspoons, because I'm not using acacia - I'm using Fiber Choice tablets, which are 2g apiece. I was a little slow at first, and hung at 2g, then 4g, for longer than I really needed to... but once I decided to increase more, I was able to go up 2g (1 tablet) every 4-5 days. And hopefully me relating my experience didn't just totally confuse you, since it's not the same fiber supplement at all!

The key is to increase it as quickly as you can safely tolerate, but still slow enough that you can recognize when you've reached a level that's good for you. I feel pretty good at 8g/day, so I doubt I'll try to increase more, even though the recommendation is 12-15g. Pacing yourself lets you see when you've gotten to that level.

Good luck!

#100666 - 08/23/04 03:12 PM
LittleFox

I am only taking 1/4 (teaspoon) to start, that is why I thought I would give it time to get into my system then up the dosage to 1/2 teaspoon. You know, do it gradually. I probably can up the dosage sooner than 6 days, but if I do it will be 1/2 (teaspoon). I don't think I should go for a tablespoon full until at least 2-3 weeks, depening on how I feel.

Did it help your bloating and gas as well as your bms?

Lene

--------------------

#100670 - 08/23/04 03:16 PM
LittleFox

Thanks Casey - I think I might increase the dosage from 1/4 (measuring teaspoon) to 1/2 (measuring teaspoon) in about 3-4 days. Then, depending on how things go, I will up it to 1 full Tablespoon (measuring tablespoon of course).

Here's hoping things go well and thanks for responding to my question!

Lene

--------------------

#100681 - 08/23/04 03:30 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Lene, I agree, that sounds like a good plan. I increased very slowly over time just to make sure it didn't cause me problems. Like Casey said, fast enough that you get to a full dosage as soon as possible, but not so fast you have unpleasant side effects.

Good for you and keep us posted on how it goes, okay? I'd love to see regular reports from you on each increase! That would be great and very inspiring to lots of us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 725

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review