All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
start talking about IBS !!!
      #10065 - 05/27/03 12:50 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

I just learned these last couple of days that the benefits of talking about IBS openly is far more powerful than the potential embarassment.
Yesterday i went to my class on the sociology of health, we were talking about medication and the drug industry (who the prof refers to as SATAN!) and I mentioned that ibs drugs hadn't worked well for me. After class this woman approached me who has terrible IBS-C and I told her about the ibs diet, and the different kinds of fiber. She had been trying to treat her ibs with laxatives, bran, and other triggers. She ended up giving me a ride home and thanking me for sharing in class.
Then today i was in another class, and mentioned to a casual friend that I had my first accupuncture session. He asked what it was for, and after i told him, he was astounded and said "I've been trying everything for ibs and nothing has worked". I happened to have heather's book with me, let him flip through it for a while. He got very excited and is going to buy the book.
If this keeps up I'm going to I'm going to start buying stocks in Heather's publisher!
ken

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: That's great ken!!! -nt- new
      #10072 - 05/27/03 03:49 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Re: start talking about IBS !!! new
      #10081 - 05/27/03 05:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree wholeheartedly with you, kenneth! Bravo for taking a great step. You've probably already helped 2 people and who knows who they will help. It's like a chain reaction. It is definitely time to get IBS out of the bathroom!@#? and start talking about it. 9 times out of 10 if I mention IBS the person has either heard of it or knows someone with it. 20% of the population is estimated to have this. We have no reason to be ashamed.
Well done - I hope you have inspired others.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#10088 - 05/27/03 06:18 PM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

agreed .. this condition really lends itself to isolation.. and a big feeling that you are the only person in the world that has it... and doctors that also do a good job pretending it doesn't exist.

It's good to know others are going through the same thing and there is something you can do to help the condition...

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

#10123 - 05/28/03 07:15 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

That's great Kenneth. I am very open about it. I used to try and not tell people but then I decided it was nothing to be ashamed of. Last year I had to take my neice to a softball tourney, and I was soooo worried I would have to disappear for a while so my sister and mom told a couple of the other moms and when I went to the game they were asking me questions because they knew other people with it. My husband told a coworker about my problem and his wife called me because she thought she had it. I got her to go to the GI and because of my encouragment they found out she has Crohn's. I come from a long line of GI problems on my Dad's side so I try to talk to my uncles about it. When I first started working here I tried to keep it quiet but when my two male bosses started questioning my doc appointments (was I sick or ok) I told them, more to shut them up and now one is always asking me questions. I do think talking about it helps, you find good GI docs, good medications, and I tell everyone about Heather's books and this site.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: That's great ken!!! -nt- new
      #10192 - 05/28/03 10:25 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

CONGRATS TO ALL FOR COMING OUT OF TH CLOSET(SO TOSPEAK)!NT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8513 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review