All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausia, Gas,Hypoglycemic feeling with shakes, IBS - A
      #100411 - 08/22/04 09:12 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Hi, the above would describe my husband. He was wondering if anyone else has the hypoglycemic and nausia part with their IBS A? He is the most "afraid" of these things happening when traveling or away from home. (He has to fly at least once a week for work). I went with him on his first trip away from home to help figure out a plan. We learned a lot. It is interesting how many times we find we are eating or I am cooking the wrong things. We just went to a web site that stated that he could be more aware or sensitive to the gas that is inside him ( he does not have the bloating) so now we are looking up all the gas producing foods. He switched to Citrical (sp?) from Metumucil (sp?) on advice of the nutritionist we saw on Friday. He lost a lot of weight so she also put him on Boost - he does not like it. He says it makes him feel funny. Her thinking was that he does not have any body fat or "Stores" for his body to draw from so to get him to gain weight this was a temporary "fix". My husband has not felt normal since June 15, 2004 he has a scheduled Colonoscopy in September to check for all the other problems it could be (no family history for cancer - his Mom and Aunt have IBS). We have the cookbook and we have the IBS first year book (still reading!) If there is anyone out there like him we would love to hear how you are doing. He is IBS - A but the swing back and forth is not generally severe. Today he started taking a multi-vitamin, He is keeping a food journal. Last, we are very impressed and thankful for Heather's books and advice. Naturally, after we found this site we continued to look for information from other sources and the information out there is just not as thoughtfully explained (to me) as it is here. AND I find that Heather's advice is also reinforced for us on other sites. If you have any suggestions or questions for him let us know. We both read the posts! Thanks so much. It means a lot.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausia, Gas,Hypoglycemic feeling with shakes, IBS - A new
      #100441 - 08/23/04 02:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep to both. Really horrible symptoms, but mine went away as I stabilised.

Ginger is very helpful for nausea. Or you can homeopathic remedies for it.

With IBS, keeping some soluble fibre in your tummy most of the time is very beneficial and this will help with the shakes. So LOTS of little SF snacks often. That should also help the nausea.

Good luck!

#100447 - 08/23/04 03:14 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

this is absolutely a big part of my ibs but I find it very manageable (the low blood sugar symptoms of shaking etc are more manageable then the nausea). your husband must be able to feel when he is starting to get hungry and the hypoglycaemia is going to take over....
he must always have some plain, soluble fibre snacks on him. I swear by toast crackers...dry and in convinient little packs. I have them in all my bags, my pockets etc. if i go out to dinner with people and I have to wait to long for a meal and i don't want the attention on me taking out a pack of crackers I excuse myself to pop out to buy something, make a phonecall or go to the toilet (unhygenic yes...but better then suffering)...i eat my crackers and I am stable again. This strategy is a MUST for controlling ibs low blood sugar. he must not ignore or try to live with these symptoms because the nausea will become unbearable. also try bananas...not as transportable as crackers but hit the spot. little meals often are also a must and he should avoid sugary things like cookies and cake, much better to eat real food and drink tea without sugar. it will only enhance the next attack. complex carbohydrates are much better.
good luck!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#100452 - 08/23/04 04:19 AM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and welcome to the boards. I am not hypoglycemic but if you do a board search with no time limits you will find past post about this that might be helpfull to you. I hope your husband is feeling better and good luck.

--------------------
Heather7476

#100453 - 08/23/04 04:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

welcome, I hope he gets better soon, I only rarely get nausea.. but the rest is me when I don't eat the right things frequently enough.. make sure he is getting lots of frequent meals with at least small amounts of protein in them as often as he can for the hypoglycemia.. I only get the nausea with dairy- is it possible there is dairy in boost (I thought I read this) in which case would spirutein or one of the other similar products be better? there was a prior discussion on this... Gas- I use gas - x and drink a lot of fennel tea and it helps a lot, also eating better seems to help a ton!

Good luck to your husband and I hope it all gets under control soon...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#100463 - 08/23/04 05:55 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Hello to you both.

First off I think it's great that you are taking such an active role in helping your husband. A good support system has helped me tremendously in managing my IBS.

I am also IBS-A and have had the symptoms your husband has. Before I was diagnosed & while the testing was going on, I became dangerously thin (it seemed I couldn't tolerate any food!) and asked my Dr. if Ensure would help. He said that Ensure is high in sugar and that sugar in general is not good when you are having bowel trouble. I'm not sure if Boost is high in sugar like Ensure but if it makes your husband feel funny it's probably not good for him. My doctor then advised me to try the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. This got me stable enough to expand my diet and begin taking a multivitamin. It's pretty funny that his BRAT diet turned out to be made up of the soluble fiber that's on Heather's listing! Interestingly, the BRAT diet was prescribed by my family doctor who was actually more help diet-wise than my GI doc. Once I was diagnosed, I was prescribed Levbid, found this website, and bought Heather's books. Now I only have problems when I have an attack (usually from something new I've tried that doesn't work). I still can't tolerate table sugar, although fruit sugar does not bother me at all.

I know it's hard to adjust to cooking and eating for IBS but keeping a food diary helps as well as trying one new thing at a time and giving it a 24 hour period to see if it agrees with you. Everyone is different as far as what they can tolerate and what works for me may not work for your
husband.

Sorry this turned out so long, but I do hope it helps.

Best to you both....

Kim

#100524 - 08/23/04 09:27 AM
Lefty1

Hello everyone and thanks so much. We looked over everyone's replys and it was very helpful to know that he was not alone.

The hypoglycemic feeling is new for him it began with his first attack in June. I think that for him it is the scariest part because of the unpredictability of it. Meetings, work, travel, as you know, has just gotten much more stressful. AND stress for him, we feel, is a trigger. He does feel the hypoglycemia creeping up on him and so has planned accordingly - you should see his briefcase!

Here is another question: Why do some people with IBS (he has IBS A) experience nausia? Is it because the colin does not reabsorb gas and it backs up into your lower GI? He also feels full down in his lower abs even if he does not eat a big meal. We just discoverd Gas X yesterday and we are glad to know about it! Thanks again!

#100527 - 08/23/04 09:31 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

lefty i had a bad reaction from ensure. its not a good thing to drink for ibs people. hope your husband feels better soon. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review