All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colonoscopy--cause for IBS?
      #100262 - 08/22/04 11:58 AM
TheresaM

Reged: 07/29/04

This may not fit with this topic, but there really was no better place...
I have had mild symptoms for several years--high fat foods and beef caused me problems. (Because of a mold allergy, I already had to avoid any aged cheeses, mushrooms, certain fresh vegetables, yeast breads, etc.) Yet, I could still eat yogurt and dairy products--the former staple of my diet. I recently had my eighth colonoscopy to continue to monitor the past removal of two problem polyps (I had four in one year and six in the past 2 1/2). In the past, I had had gastorentorologists with smaller but reputable hospitals or the residents at a local teaching hospital. This time, it was the teacher/expert himself, well known for his expertise. Well. I was no more bruised up inside than usual, but I have since been unable to eat dairy foods, any meats (which I don't care about any way except for an occasional night out, as I generally cook and order out vegetarian foods). Since I ate yogurt regularly with no problems, this was a noticeable change. Has anyone heard if the repeated trauma of colonoscopies can result in IBS? In case relevant, I am petite and when there were polyps (which always bordered the small intestine and required several trips in and out)I always was a bit pained from the extra gas pressure and bruising for a few days, but it was something I just expected. Any one think this is possible?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy--cause for IBS? new
      #100264 - 08/22/04 12:07 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Wow, you and I must have been typing away at exactly the same time. When I finished my post about feeling better after my colonoscopy, I went back to the forum and your post had just appeared!

Anyway, I haven't heard of colonoscopies causing IBS, but I do think that various "traumas" to the digestive system could certainly bring on IBS symptoms, and stress can too. It sounds like you have had plenty of traumas and stress! And 8 colonoscopies with polyp removals is a lot for your body to deal with.

I'd make the dietary changes for now just to see if you feel better. Also, check with your doc and see what he says about the effects of repeated colonoscopies. There's got to be some info on this.

Take care and feel better soon.

#100281 - 08/22/04 01:02 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

(Because of a mold allergy, I already had to avoid any aged cheeses, mushrooms, certain fresh vegetables, yeast breads, etc.)

ME TOO!!!! Nice to know I'm not the only one.

As far as the colonoscopy, theoretically a "trauma" to the gut can trigger IBS in someone with an inheirited tendency to it. I know, it's like darned if you do, darned if you don't!! Too bad about the dairy but there are some really good nondairy soy and rice yogurts from what I've read.

Whatever the cause, the solution is better following of Heather's diet and other suggestions, like soluble fiber supplements, peppermint tea and so on.

Anyway, welcome to the board, it's a great site with lots of good info and really nice people! Oh, and this was exactly the right place to post this!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#100303 - 08/22/04 03:19 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

can't help in the colonoscopy dept--but I did want to share that I just this week tried two products you might try if you haven't already--Stonyfield Soy yogurt is free of just about all the triggers imaginable--and tastes great--also I now use "Tofutti better than cream cheese"--taste pretty good and I now don't miss my cream cheese!! Feel Good..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review