All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
breakfast
      #100151 - 08/21/04 11:20 PM
trinity85

Reged: 02/06/04

Hey everyone,
tomorrow I start school, and I am not much of a morning person...I am very sick and very tired every morning. What can I eat in the morning before school that won't give me gas pains, and will hold me over until lunchtime that's IBS-safe? I'm having a very hard time controling my IBS, and this is my third year of high school with it, and I really would like to try to improve my diet since that is the last thing I can resort to seeing as nothing else has worked. I'm determined to have a good year this year!
Thanks for any replies.
-Trinity

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast new
      #100157 - 08/22/04 01:22 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there!
are you ibs c or ibs d or maybe ibs a? thats the first important bit of info.
do you teach at school or are you a student? (sorry if that is a silly question)..
whichever you are....probably one of your concerns is keeping yourself from getting hungry between breakfast and lunch? keep packets of crackers in your bag or pockets and even if it means excusing yourself to the bathroom and eating them in there, then do it.
or you can always explain that you have a disorder and need to eat little and often?
as for the gasy pains? have you experimented with your diet at all to find out what you can tolerate etc? can you tolerate oatmeal?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#100164 - 08/22/04 04:39 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello

I struggle with having breakfast when I'm off to work but I've found that I can tolerate Kallo's Organic Puffed Rice Cereal with vanilla soy milk with a cup of peppermint or fennel tea. By mid morning I get hungry though so take to work a Doves Farm Organic Tasty bar. These are delicious, wheat free and are made of rice and have a small amount of chocolate that I can tolerate. I also take with me some rice cakes (plain and sometimes the apple/cinammon snack bags) that I can snack on if I've not been able to have breakfast. Hope this helps, there's lost of advice here for other breakfast foods - have a look at some of the past posts by entering 'breakfast' in the search facility.

Let us know how you get on!

#100296 - 08/22/04 02:31 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I often eat French bread with safe margarine. It's super quick and very safe. Oatmeal, english muffins, tofu scrambler, and puffed rice cereal with vanilla soy milk are some other suggestions.

If after eating you feeling 'd' coming on take an Imodium and it should keep you out of the washroom until you're back from school.

#100474 - 08/23/04 06:44 AM
rhodiebean

Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: Rhode Island

I have good luck with a plain bagel and a banana. It may not be very exciting, but it's portable and can be eaten anywhere. It's also filling and gets my tummy off to a good start.

#100477 - 08/23/04 06:57 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Personally, I'm not a morning person, and anything heavy like a bagel totally sets me off if I eat it first thing, so I stick with toast. I usually have 2 slices of toast, with fruit babyfood on it instead of jam (much more tasty & nutritious... applesauce & a sprinkle of cinnamon would work too). Then I take a baggie with dry honeycomb cereal or a few graham crackers and stick it in my bag, so I have something to munch on later if I'm going to be out and about. There's no way I can eat something in the morning that's actually going to hold me for more than a couple hours, but that's just me.

#100479 - 08/23/04 07:08 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Trinity85!

In school, I couldn't eat before class because it aggravated my IBS-D (painful gas, explosive D). When I did, I had to bolt out of class a bunch of times, and it got really hard to explain.

So I figured out that if I waited a good hour after I woke up to start eating I'd be better off. I'd go to school on an empty stomach, then sneak a snack out of my bag, usually a plain eng muffin or bagel w/peanut butter during class.

Keep Imodium and crackers on hand, and Tylenol for pain, and some bottled water. Most students have strange eating habits, so it's not like anyone will notice.

Good luck to you!!!!

~nel~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review