All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bloating
      #100035 - 08/21/04 02:00 PM
Keross

Reged: 05/30/04

I have been following the IBS diet for about 6 mos. I have had most of the tests that Heather recommends and everything has come up negative except for a looped colon. I am currently on no medication except a diuretic which seems to help a little with the bloating. I live in VA where the humidity does not help in the bloating department. I cannot stand the taste of fennel, so is there anything else that will get rid of this bloating and distention? I have bloating with no gas. Has anyone had luck with antidepressants helping the bloating? HELP!!! I desperately want to fit in my clothes!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bloating new
      #100175 - 08/22/04 06:23 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I hate fennel too, but it really works. I plug my nose and swallow and try not to gag afterwards.
You can hit the "Yoga for IBS" icon at the left hand side of your page. There's lots of poses that will help get rid of trapped gas. That may help.
Have you tried light exercise after a meal? Have you tried eating smaller portions but eating more frequently throughout the day? I know whenever I eat a big meal, my stomach inflates like a balloon. Try smaller portions.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#100177 - 08/22/04 06:27 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Ooh, small portions is a BIGGIE for me! It's gotten so I don't really eat meals anymore, but nosh throughout the day. This practice makes a big difference in how I feel physically and emotionally too cause I really have found that I can eat almost anything, just a very small amount of it. Plus I've lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months or so.

#100207 - 08/22/04 09:30 AM
Keross

Reged: 05/30/04

I too control all my other symptoms by eating smaller meals. I have even been able to slowly add in more natural fiber foods without any side effects such as gas, cramps, etc. Believe it or not I am not gassy when I am bloated. I can wake up with a flat stomach, eat a piece of toast and watch my stomach inflate to when I was 5 months pregnant. I am thin, exercise daily and never sit still and feel as if my belly is taking over. I eat no red meat, soy dairy products (can tolerate the occasional piece of hard cheese), gave up coffee and all caffiene, no carbonated beverages, low-fat diet. I have come so far in the last 6 mos following Heather's diet that I am frustrated that I can't get rid of the bloating. The weird thing is that once the weather gets colder here in VA my bloating is minimal and I will lose 5 lbs. without even trying (I typically gain 5 - 7 lbs as soon as the humidity starts without changing my diet or exercise). The bad part is I spend the entire summer in a bathing suit or shorts because of the heat and humidity here. You get the picture. I was reading some other posts today about SF's. My GI suggested I cut them out and gradually add in natural fiber from fruits, veggies, and breads...that is when I started to feel like my old self. I am just looking for that miracle to get rid of the bloat!

#100209 - 08/22/04 09:38 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Just guessing, but could your bloating without gas be water retention? Maybe the diuretic is the best thing. Most of my bloating is definitely trapped gas because it is painful and then when I take a Phazyme I get some relief.

One more thing. Could it be your SFS. A lot of people complain of excessive bloating with their fiber supplements.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#100374 - 08/22/04 07:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

First, welcome!! So glad you found us, it's a great site.

You certainly seem to be doing all the right things and 6 months is certainly a good amount of time to get stable. But you HAVE to take a soluble fiber supplement (SFS). IMHO, there's just no way you or any of my other friends here on the board are going to get stable and stay stable unless they do. I really disagree with the posts that suggest otherwise. If one SFS doesn't agree with you, find another, until you find one that works for you. There is no miracle to get rid of bloat. The things you're doing are fantastic and more than some of the long time people here, so you're way ahead of them. And yes, your doctor is right that you need to include INSOLUBLE fiber foods like fruits, veggies and whole grain breads to stay healthy. But you also need an SFS because it's virtually impossible to get enough soluble fiber just from eating soluble fiber foods. Go re-read Heather's writeup about it.

The only other thing I can suggest is I take two extra strength Gas-X (simethicone) every morning when I first get up. I know you don't have gas, but it works on bloat too. For me it was the final piece of the puzzle and now I've been D free, gas free and bloat free for over 7 months! If I can do it, you can do it. PS I hate fennel tea too so it is possible to conquer bloat with out it. On the other hand it helps so much that Han Solo's suggestion to hold your nose while you drink it is worth considering!!

Let us know how it goes and keep coming back, okay??

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#100376 - 08/22/04 07:50 PM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Have you tried steeping fennel seeds with non-caffeinated chai tea, straining the evil-tasting fennel seeds out, and then adding some warm soy milk and sugar? You can almost not taste the fennel!

#100417 - 08/22/04 09:21 PM
Jo1515

Reged: 08/22/04

Thanks for the info, I have been battling bloating for ten years to the extent of not fitting into any clothes. I just got diagnosed after my colonscopy last week with IBS and I am looking for ways to control this. I used fennel for my son when he was an infant for colic, I will try it now for myself. Thanks for the advice.

#100419 - 08/22/04 09:24 PM
Jo1515

Reged: 08/22/04

I am not over weight but do have that hanging 15 pounds that I would like to get rid of. Can you tell me do you follow the IBS diet or how did you do it? I am new to IBs and looking for ways to control and would like to lose some weight too. Thanks

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1614

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review