Easy IBS Diet Tips & Tricks
Sometimes it's the little things with IBS that make a big difference. And making a lot of small changes can add up to huge improvements.
You don't have to follow all of the tips and tricks, all of the time. But do try to adopt as many as possible, as often as possible, for the best results on a daily basis.
Take immediate control of your IBS symptoms with Heather's IBS diet kit...
Read on to learn all about your soluble fiber safe foods...
- Whenever your stomach is empty, make soluble fiber the first thing you eat
- Chew thoroughly. Digestion starts in the mouth. This will also help keep you from eating too fast and swallowing air, which can trigger problems.
- Eat at a leisurely pace. If you're in a rush, serve yourself half portions.
- Eat small portions of food, and snack frequently. The emptier your stomach is, the more sensitive your gastrocolic reflex will be.
- Avoid eating large amounts of food in one sitting as this can trigger an IBS attack
- Avoid ice-cold foods and drinks on an empty stomach. Cold makes muscles contract, and your goal is to keep your gut as calm as possible.
- Avoid chewing gum, as it causes you to swallow excess air, which can trigger problems.
- Drink fresh water constantly throughout the day. Limit the amount of water or other fluids you drink with your meals, as this can inhibit digestion.
- Only eat green salads - tiny portions, non-fat dressing - at the end of the meal, not the beginning (tell people you're French).
- Peel, skin, chop and cook fruits and vegetables.
- Mash or puree beans, corn, peas, and berries.
- Finely chop nuts, raisins and other dried fruits, and fresh herbs.
- Nuts are more tolerable for IBS when finely ground.