Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
European substitutes for ingredients??
      #97676 - 08/12/04 04:04 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Can anyone help a first time poster?

I am very interested in the recipes on these boards but am not sure of the US names for some of the ingredients that come up repeatedly or for US versions of brandnames which I am sure we have over here. Current ones I am trying to figure out are:

- Canola oil
- Corn Chex or Rice Chex (even if someone tells me which cereal company makes them I could look it up myself)
- all purpose flour- is this what we call plain flour
-corn syrup-.. golden syrup here?
-cornstarch...?

Having spent some time in the US I know what saltines and graham crackers are, and that they are impossible to get over here, so does anyone have any substitutions for them?

Thanks a million, really looking forward to trying out the recipes.

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: European substitutes for ingredients?? new
      #97680 - 08/12/04 05:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not in Europe, but I will do my best...

Canola oil is a vegetable cooking oil.

You can find more about Chex cereals on the Chex homepage. I've heard that Chex isn't available over there at all, but basically, it's a plain rice or corn cereal, with no whole grain in it, and no other IBS triggers (fat, dairy, high fructose corn syrup).

All-purpose flour is a general *white* baking flour (not whole wheat).

Corn syrup... I'm not sure about that one.

Cornstarch... I've sometimes heard it referred to as corn flour (but not to be confused with cornmeal). It's a very fine white "flour" that's used in small amounts to thicken sauces.

As for the crackers, any plain cracker that is NOT whole grain (whole wheat, seven grain, etc), doesn't contain dairy products, and is fat-free, can substitute for the American crackers on the list. I'm sure someone will be along with some specific suggestions, but in case it takes a while, I thought I'd at least give you a general idea so you can see if maybe you already have something that fits the bill.

By the way, welcome to the boards!

Search the boards for this too - there are lots of past posts on this! -nt- new
      #97840 - 08/12/04 01:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks! new
      #97851 - 08/12/04 02:09 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Thanks - cornstarch definitely sounds like our cornflour (used to thicken sauces etc); all purpose flour sounds like what we call "plain flour" and when I searched the boards I see that digestive biscuits are recommended in place of Graham crackers.

Just went shopping and bought non dairy substitutes for the first time, all these corners of the supermarket I hadn't ever seen before, it was like a treasure trove. Got rice milk as well as the soy kind, and it was very nice. Might get into this health food store business. Am sooo going to miss cheese though, it is one of my favourite foods, but if the choice is the cramps or the cheese I choose foregoing the cheese every time..

Here's to my new life....maybe its my Irish blood that is so reluctant to even mentioning the fact that alcohol is an absolute no-no....I am DEFINITELY in denial about that one, and am only a social drinker, three drinks a week would be tops....ah well...I'll chart my progress here to let you know that I have kept it up!

--------------------
S.

Re: European substitutes for ingredients?? new
      #106307 - 09/16/04 01:37 PM
Conrob

Reged: 05/12/03
Loc: Holland

Hi Cailin,

I've lived in Holland for the last 8 years and found it also difficult to find particuliar ingredients, such as soy
cheese, it just doesn't exist here.

However, some things I've found a replacement for...here's my list for your questions:

Canola Oil - Impossible to find here as is Corn Oil, so I've gone with sunflower/safflower oil.

Corn Chex / Rice Chex - just do a search and you'll find what it's like, than find something similar in the cereal aisle. What's important is that it has no triggers, not really what kind of cereal most of the time.

All purpose flour - Yup, that's plain flour

Corn Syrup - There's a light version and a dark normally. However as an English version I've found Lyle's Golden Syrup will work fine for the light version.

Corn starch - Yup, you can use corn meal as long as it's very powderey.

Hope that helps. Good hunting!

Connie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review