All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
meatloaf ?
      #5937 - 04/12/03 10:03 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've been asking my boyfriend for ideas for me to cook for dinner, and I need some help. For most things he mentioned, I already have or can find safe recipes (and I'll post them once I make them). But I'm stuck on meatloaf. I have a wonderful, wonderful recipe...for ground beef meatloaf! Will it work with ground chicken or turkey? Has anyone tried this? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: meatloaf ? new
      #5938 - 04/12/03 10:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

My grandmother used to make meatloaf with ground turkey breast, and it worked great. I've never tried this (and I've no idea where her recipe is) but I have seen other recipes that call for this. I don't know why ground chicken breast wouldn't work well, too. And I would guess that TVP would work well too, as long as you had some bread crumbs or egg whites or something in there to bind everything together.

I'd try taking the recipe you have and using it as is but with the turkey/chicken sub. I bet it turns out great.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: meatloaf ? new
      #5939 - 04/12/03 11:01 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

TessLouise,
If you try this and it works, please let us have the recipe!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Kim's Special Meatloaf new
      #5942 - 04/13/03 12:17 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Here's one that should work really well:

Ground Turkey/Chicken
1 cup French Bread Crumbs (I usually buy a big loaf, eat half, dry rest, grate and keep in freezer for future use)
2 Egg Whites
1 splash Soy milk
spices (SnP, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Seasoning Salt (omit regular salt if you use this)
Optional: 1 can Campbells tomato soup

1. mix ground meat, egg whites, spices and bread crumbs
2. let stand 15 minutes or until you can't really differentiate between bread crumbs and meat = mixture
3. pack into bread loaf pan
4. puncture with knife
5. bake at ~350-375 F until cooked through (draining fat if necessary)
6. cover with canned soup and bake until soup gets a little brown

This is a big family favourite! You can modify it a bit by adding minced onion, bell peppers, mushrooms to the meat mixture (make sure the pieces are tiny or you won't get a strong loaf) or altering the spices. I prefer Italian flavoured meat loaf so I add garlic and oregano.

Re: meatloaf ? - I use turkey all the time... new
      #5953 - 04/13/03 07:03 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

TL - I always make hamburgers and meatloaf with very lean ground turkey the exact same way I did it with ground beef and it turns out great. Especially if you put the tomato soup on top like Kim does. On the burgers I use soy cheese melted on top.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

We Are Trying Kim's Special Meatloaf Sat new
      #17395 - 08/15/03 11:02 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

We have all the fixings and will be making this on Sat.... along with..........

Heather's Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes

Can't wait to try both of these. Also my Hubby's mouth has been watering from just telling him about it.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: We Are Trying Kim's Special Meatloaf Sat new
      #17404 - 08/15/03 11:25 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Shell - you are too cute! I love how your hubby always has input too!

I haven't tried the meatloaf, but the potatoes....OMG!! They are delicious!! You will definitely enjoy those!

#17418 - 08/15/03 12:14 PM
Shell Marr

Mags...

He is just so proud of me for doing everything I can to feel better..... he has been so frustrated over the last year or so.... I was sick every weekend.... drove him nuts!! But, since we ALWAYS eat together and we both have food we love & hate.... it made it hard to cook.... but with Heather's help & everyone here on the boards.... we are realizing that even healthy food is yummy! And I can really feel better (that is our #1 goal)...

--------------------

#17429 - 08/15/03 12:25 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That is so great! I'm glad you are having so much success, and you have such great support from your hubby! And he likes the food too is a great plus! My fiance doesn't eat a lot of my stuff, because he tries to follow the low carb diet. But, he is still so supportive. Just last weekend, we wanted to get takeout from somewhere, and he really wanted a cheeseseteak from the this place we always used to go to. So, I was looking at it, getting kinda down, because there was so much on there I can't eat anymore, and I was starting to crave it. You know the routine. Anyway, he just took the menu from me, and said, "We won't be needing this anymore." Then he threw it away! He even sacrificed his cheesesteak! LOL He's so sweet.

#17446 - 08/15/03 12:49 PM
Shell Marr

That is wonderful.... guess we both lucked out there!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11272

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review