All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Prune puree fat substitute question new
      #3650 - 03/21/03 01:06 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

What the heck is in prunes that is such a trigger? I find I can't use the prune puree as it acts just like prune juice does. Terrible stomach cramps and D. What is it, an enzyme or what? I'd like to know so I can stay away from foods that contain it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prune puree fat substitute question new
      #3651 - 03/21/03 01:15 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm not positive, but I think prunes are a natural laxative?

Got it! new
      #3652 - 03/21/03 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, it took a while to track down this info - I just kept finding references to a "chemical" in prunes that has a laxative effect. But - what chemical?!

PRUNES
Prunes are the dried fruit of a specific type of plum. Prunes are rich in potassium making them of assistance to those with high blood pressure. Furthermore prunes contain useful amounts of niacin, vitamin A and vitamin B6. They contain a chemical known as Hydroxyphenylisatin, which stimulates the smooth muscle of the large intestine (large bowel) therefore making this dried fruit and excellent gentle laxative.

So, there we are! Plums will have this chemical as well, so be cautious there. The only other fruit/veggie that I know of that has an actual chemical laxative in it is rhubarb, so watch out for that too.

I've been afraid to try the prune puree in chocolate recipes, though it sounds delicious. I'm pretty sensitive to prunes, too. Oddly, rhubarb I have no problem with - I stew it and eat with toast all the time. For the recipes, applesauce works great for me so I'm just sticking to that until I get a bit braver.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Got it! new
      #3667 - 03/21/03 03:24 PM
Karin

Unfortunately for us, Sunsweet's fat replacement, Lighter Bake, is made from plums. I guess that's why I had such a reaction to when I used it in some low fat cookies I made. I guess I can add that to my list of triggers! Thanks for the information and the time you took to find it out! Karin

Re: Got it! - other alternatives for prune puree...
      #3707 - 03/21/03 04:50 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather, Karin - I think other fruit purees work just as well like banana, pear, peach, etc. The only problem is that you can only find it in the baby food section of the grocery store (where you find the pureed prunes). I've been meaning to buy some pear and peach Gerbers, but haven't yet. The plum puree doesn't bother me in chocolate. But I used the Soy Garden Buttery Spread in my chocolate cookies and it worked out okay.

So Heather, have you tried the Soy Garden Spread for your cookies yet?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Got it! - other alternatives for prune puree... new
      #3711 - 03/21/03 05:24 PM
Karin

Sharon: Did you have any problems with using spreads for baking? Most of the spreads I've see state they're not for baking purposes. I purchased some Canola margarine to bake with, but the fat content is just as high as butter. What's the fat content of yours?

#3712 - 03/21/03 05:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The Spectrum Spread I've used is specifically for baking. But it warns on the package that it's not for frying, so I haven't tried that.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3716 - 03/21/03 07:27 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Karin - fat content same as butter, margerine, oil. But I think it's better because it's not made from animal fat and it's not saturated fat.

Non-hydrogenated Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread with crushed soybeans, 79% natural vegetable oils, No trans fatty acids, natural flavor, no preservatives AND IT'S KOSHER (parve)! The container also says it's ideal for cooking, baking, frying and table use. I used it to make cookies this morning and they came out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and were good. The whole recipe had only 4 tbsp in it and it made 36 cookies.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (03/21/03 07:34 PM)

#3718 - 03/21/03 07:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Ummm...actually I've never baked with a fruit spread or the baby food purees. I just use applesauce for the most part, or mashed/pureed fresh fruits and veggies (for things like banana bread, pumpkin cake, carrot cake, etc.)

Sharon...I pass the ball back to you!

- H

--------------------

#3730 - 03/21/03 08:15 PM
Karin

It will help if I can find it.....lol. I was just at Albertsons and couldn't find it there either. I did see apple butter, how do you think that would work? Sounded interesting.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7133

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review