All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I may have found an easy piecrust.
      #15825 - 07/31/03 01:20 PM
deenabrq

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Marysville WA

I got it out of Martha Stewart Everyday Foods July/August 2003.

Easy Pie Crust
Makes two
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes

How to make the dough

1. Mix 2 ½ cups flour and 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Cut 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter (I used soybean margarine name brand Willow Run) into pieces. With a pastry blender, cut in butter, working until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add 4 tablespoons ice water; work with hands until dough comes together. If dough is still crumbly, add more ice water a tablespoon at a time (up to 4 more tablespoons). Do not overwork.
3. Divide dough in half, and flatten halves into disks. Wrap disks separately in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour.

How to form a pie shell

4. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch round. Wrap around rolling pin; carefully unroll over 9-inch pie plate.
5. Fit gently into bottom and side of plate. Use kitchen shears to trim dough to a 1-inch overhang; fold under, and seal to form a rim.
6. Crimp rim with fingertips and knuckle. Repeat with remaining dough; wrap with plastic, stack, and freeze.

I have not made this yet. But I am going to try and make it today.

Fruit pie with crumb topping

Serves 8
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes

Preheat oven to 400
1. Combine 5 cups blueberries or other fruit with ¾ to 1 cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1-tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pour into pie shell: sprinkle with ½ Crumb topping.
2. Place on foil-lined baking sheet in lower third of oven; reduce heat to 350. Bake until fruit bubbles and crust browns, 1½ hours. If topping begins to brown too quickly, tent with foil. Let cool 6 hours

Crumb topping
Makes 2 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes

1. In a bowl, mix 1 ½ cups flour, ¾ cups light-brown sugar, 1/3 cups granulated sugar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and cinnamon.
2. Cut 1 ½ sticks chilled unsalted butter (I will use soybean margarine name brand Willow Run) into pieces. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form. Divide mixture in half: freeze in plastic storage bags.

Other uses
Toast on a baking sheet in a 350 oven 15 minutes, and sprinkle over ice cream (soy of course), frozen yogurt (soy?), and fresh fruit.

I made a cherry pie with the piecrust last weekend. I brushed egg whites over the top crust so it would brown and it turned out really good. The first pie I have had in over 3 years. So it was really really good to me. The cherries were from my brothers cherry tree so I had fresh cherries.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I may have found an easy piecrust. new
      #15826 - 07/31/03 01:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - This sounds delicious, but be careful with the high fat content. Even though soy margarine is less of a trigger than butter, it's still pure fat, and that can trigger attacks. Pie crusts are usually the worst - it's very hard to make them low fat. But even the crumb topping has 1 1/2 sticks of margarine, which is a lot lot lot. So be careful - especially with all the fruit, which is insoluble fiber.

Have tiny portions of a dessert like this, only on a full stomach of soluble fiber.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15835 - 07/31/03 02:17 PM
deenabrq

I do just a small slice after dinner, just enough to get a good taste. I would love to eat the whole thing. But my tummy would greatly protest. That darn tummy always gets its way.

How do you like this heat wave we are having here in WA?

#15836 - 07/31/03 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I could always eat the whole pie too! Desserts are my downfall. Why have just one when you can have 3? or 4? or.... you can see how I'd get into trouble!

The heat wave is awful! I can't even believe I'm in Seattle. Last night was so warm and even a little humid. Today, though, things have broken and it's glorious out. You know I'm a native when I'm praying for wind and rain in the middle of the summer.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15840 - 07/31/03 03:02 PM
deenabrq

We are not native to WA. I grow up in Idaho near Boise. DH grow up in Lafayette LA. And we are begging for 65 and overcast. Our house sits up on a hill we get a small view of the sound. So if there is a breeze we get it. But there hasn't even been that. The Kids are living in the pool. I think this is the first year we have used a whole bottle of sunscreen. Poor Dh is working in Seattle (outside) and has to sit in the afternoon traffic with no AC in his truck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6993

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review