All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about fiber supplements new
      #92955 - 07/25/04 02:27 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I gave up on soluble fiber supplements about 6 months ago, because I was unable to tolerate the ones I had tried (Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, Equilactin, Acacia). In all cases I got severe bloating, even at low doses. Each time, I would try staying on the supplements a few weeks, but usually gave up due to the discomfort. However, I would like to try again, as it sounds like many people really find it helpful, and my GI doc has been pushing the idea. Equilactin and Acacia were the least problematic, so I thought I'd start with one of those.

My question is this: Why does a gram or two of soluble fiber in a supplement cause a problem, when a gram or two of soluble fiber in food form such as rice or bread does not?

Any other suggestions for successfully incorporating SFS in my routine?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about fiber supplements new
      #92965 - 07/25/04 05:20 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Wonderful question and one for which I await an answer with baited breath, since I have had problems with every SFS I've tried as well.

#92966 - 07/25/04 05:42 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I don`t have an answer for your question. But I too had severe bloating when I started the acacia. All I can say is alot of fennel tea & over the counter bloating tablets(gas x)got me through. I also read how I never introduced insolube fiber for a balance. I started eating a peach or plum a day with all my safe foods & fiber. Alot of trial an error and time. I can honestly say the acacia fiber is a big part of my stability. I think also each persons adjustment is different. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck !

#92967 - 07/25/04 05:47 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

HI- I also thought I could not use the Acacia--I had to start with less than 1/2 tsp once daily--I now can take a rounded tsp twice a day--this after more than a month of starting the fiber and IBS diet--I find that I do well on mixing the powder with food--like pasta, oatmeal--any soft and warm food seems to work-altho I also now can mix it with beverages too...you might try to mix it only with food initially--not sure if you have tried that or not--hope this helps--

Re: Question about fiber supplements
      #92976 - 07/25/04 07:37 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried a product called FibreBoost ? It is made in the US by a company called Synersup. I used Metamucil for quite a while with quite good results, then found this one in a healthfood shop. A bit expensive but i think it is better. It is based on psyllium and acacia, but has lots of the well recognised calming herbs in it also, and rice/oat bran if i remember rightly. Might be worth a try if others don't work for you. I find it causes less bloating than Meta also.

Ralph

Many years ago I also tried Citrucel new
      #92984 - 07/25/04 08:17 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

and had a horrible time with it. Looking back I think I took it full dosage and did not try and work up to it. I started acacia this spring at either 1/2 or 1/4 tsp and was gassy and bloaty the first week. I am now up to 2 1/4 tsp. and slowly making my way to the recommended dose. If you do a search with no time limits you can find posts about allergies to certain "ingredients" in SFS. I know I asked a question along those lines, I think about the gum families. Your question is a good one and I too want to know what the difference is.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Question about fiber supplements--Heather, can you help out? new
      #93078 - 07/26/04 08:45 AM
Judithg

Heather,
Can you address this question from my original post: Why does a gram or two of soluble fiber in a supplement cause a problem, when a gram or two of soluble fiber in food form such as rice or bread does not?

I think part of the reason I keep having problems finding a SFS that works for me is that extremely painful bloating is one of my symptoms WITHOUT the SFS. So when I add the supplement and it gets worse, I just feel awful. May not even be able to function at all. I usually try to tolerate it for 2-3 weeks to see if it eases up, but if it doesn't get better by that time, I just have to give up the SFS to save my sanity!

Thanks,
Judith

I don't know... new
      #93164 - 07/26/04 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've long wondered about this myself, and I've never read anything that would explain the difference. I'm kind of operating on the theory that people who have a lot of gas/bloating from the SFS can tolerate them better (especially when starting out and trying to get their gut used to the supplement) by having them in food instead of liquids. This works pretty well for the Acacia and Benefiber, is more difficult for flavored things like Citrucel or for any of the tablets. This is something I've just learned from feedback from a lot of folks, and it makes sense since soluble fiber foods seem to be tolerable to people who have trouble with SFS - but I don't have a concrete explanation for why this would be true.

It also seems to be more common in people who have bad bloating, period, whether they're on a SFS or not. When that's the case, taking the SFS in fennel tea or with a peppermint cap can be a bit proactive.

So sorry...I wish I knew the answer to this question because it is puzzle!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks! new
      #93501 - 07/27/04 11:21 AM
Judithg

I think I will try the Acacia mixed with food and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. When I used it before, I was just mixing it in water. My husband swears by the Acacia, by the way, and it just occurred to me that he always puts it in his cereal. He doesn't have IBS per se, but he's prone to bloating and gas from most SFS, and he doesn't seem to be having problems with the acacia.

Thanks for the help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 680 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review