All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Helpful Website and Book
      #8938 - 05/13/03 08:44 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

This website is so helpful,and Heather could not be more understanding, but I see that some people on here have some more severe illnesses other than the IBS which are digestive related. My pharmacist/nutrtionist recommended the following website ( and book by the same name) to me when I went to see him about my IBS. I have been following a "modified" version of this diet for over 3 wks now and feel really good! It is a bit difficult at first, and I know that it is not for EVERYONE, but it may be helpful to some with Celiac, etc. It's worth a look anyway. I hope no one is offended....
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tried it new
      #8940 - 05/13/03 09:09 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I have this book and tried it before I tried Heather's diet. The problem is that many of the recipes in it contain a lot of fat. I purchased a bunch of Almond flour, made some good things out of it, but continued to have problems. There was a marked difference, for the positive, when I went on Heather's diet. I did like the no-carbs though, so I try to incorporate low carbs and low fat both now. I refer to the other book when I need some ideas, but I don't follow it full time any longer. Some may want to try it and see if it works for them, though, as we all have different problems and solutions. Just watch the fat!

Re: Tried it new
      #8941 - 05/13/03 09:47 AM
tnchawk

Right: I don't have the book, but did notice that there were some higher fat recipes. I guess that they could be modified, to fit the IBS diet? I have made a few things from it and they were good; no problems.

--------------------

Re: Tried it new
      #8943 - 05/13/03 09:58 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Most of the recipes call for butter, almond flour, yogurt, beef, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, etc..... I would LOVE to see a low carb-low fat AND no wheat cookbook but there aren't any yet. Could it be that it's too specialized? LOL

Re: Helpful Website and Book new
      #8957 - 05/13/03 11:37 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The SCD diet has been around a while, and for many people with inflammatory bowel diseases (like Crohn's and ulcerative colitis) it has had spectacular results. The theory behind the diet is that specific carbohydrates trigger gastrointestinal inflammation in people with IBD.

The problem with using the diet for IBS is two-fold. One, IBS does not have an inflammatory component, so there's no indication that specific carbohydrates would be detrimental. Two, the diet is very high in fat and includes a lot of triggers for strong gastrointestinal contractions (red meat, dairy). Actually, there's a third problem, and that is that the diet doesn't have any foundation in soluble fiber foods, which are really necessary for digestive stability and normal bowel function.

I've heard from folks with IBD and IBS who have sort of combined the two diets (difficult but certainly not impossible - there's an earlier thread about this here ) with good results. And I've heard from IBD people who have had incredible success with the SCD diet. But I haven't heard from people who "just" have IBS and have had luck with the SCD diet.

I'm always interested, though.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Helpful Website and Book-SORRY! new
      #8960 - 05/13/03 11:48 AM
tnchawk

Right! That is why I thought that it might be helpful for people with something other than IBS ( Ruchie for example.) I know that IBS needs the soluble fiber base. I didn't mean to cause any confusion..SORRY!

--------------------

#8962 - 05/13/03 11:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks Cris!!! (((hugs))) Does anyone know if this is good for Celiac or people with sugar problems? I doubt I have IBD....thanks again!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8964 - 05/13/03 11:54 AM
tnchawk

The website says that it is good for people with Celiac! Hope it provide you with some relief!

Christianne

--------------------

#8965 - 05/13/03 12:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

(((((((hugs))))))) You are the sweetest person--btw, no need to be sorry at all! When you're trying to help someone especially there's no need to apologize! I appreciate your help and suggestions more than you know.....thank you SOOOOOOO much!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8966 - 05/13/03 12:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Definitely no need to apologize! We do have IBD folks on the board and the info might help them.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2947 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3618

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review