All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Long-Term Effects of Fiber Supplements new
      #53878 - 03/24/04 12:44 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the Message Boards and to the world of the IBS diet. I happened on Heather's web site, got the book and Acacia Tummy Fiber and now I'm on the road to better health! I am wondering though (and I tried to do a search on the baords but couldn't find anything on this topic..?) if (1) would starting this diet with the use of a fiber supplement mean that I would have to take a fiber supplement forever?, if so, (2) are there any side-effects of taking a fiber supplement forever?, i.e., is it not possible to control IBS through diet alone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

All benefits, no risks!
      #53883 - 03/24/04 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - you may find that you can control IBS just through your diet and without a soluble fiber supplement. Some people can do this all of the time, some folks add in a supplement just when they're touchy, and some people really need the supplement on a daily basis to stay stable. You'll find your own preference here.

The good news is that there is zero downside to taking a soluble fiber supplement every day, both for IBS and for overall health. It's one of the best things there is to help stabilize your digestion, and since fiber is just a natural plant food it's something you're meant to be eating anyway. You can't get "addicted" to it, there are no risks or side effects from it, it's not a drug, there are no long-term problems, etc. If anything, it's not a bad idea for everyone, whether they have IBS or not, to take extra fiber every day. It helps stabilize blood sugar levels, lowers heart disease risks, lower colon cancer rates, and is just an all-around good thing for you.

So, let your IBS tell you how often you need to take a supplement, and if it's every day don't worry about that. There are only benefits, so have no worries.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Welcome!! new
      #53886 - 03/24/04 12:59 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fibre is great...just like Heather said!!

When you're first starting out though make sure to keep your dose low and increase it really slowly or else you'll find yourself feeling quite uncomfortable (and nobody likes getting so bloated that they get mistaken for a beach ball)....so just take it slow and ask as many questions as you like.

Re: All benefits, no risks! new
      #53951 - 03/24/04 04:02 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Thank you Heather and Kimm. I started the acacia yesterday and I swear I feel better already - probably not possible but it seems so! I had been taking Metamucil and eating everything (to my detriment!) before I happened on this web site and book...I'm looking forward to feeling better!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 455

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review