All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WHY CALTRATE-D PLUS WORKS
      #3187 - 03/18/03 02:41 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

WHY CALTRATE-D WORKS

Over the past few days I have discovered people all over the world are taking calcium for the same complaints I have regarding after gallbladder removal miseries with great success/in many cases INSTEAD of bile salt sequestrants - Questran being the one I take. And some even take it for IBS-D. I don't do well with milk and don't eat high fat products like cheese....haven't for years since my gallbladder came out - and wow, what a difference now after supplementation.

Is a Calcium Supplement is helping me? Yes, it is. Amazing.

...and after research today THIS is HOW and WHY taking a Calcium supplement works.

1. Calcium binds bile, which can irritate the lining of the colon causing diahrea.

2. "Calcium is a smooth muscle relaxant/is necessary for proper muscular contractions throughout the body. Deficiency can result in spastic conditions - muscle spasms, tics and
the over-activation of muscles without cause."
ie: athletic "stitches", "tics" and painful spasms.
-------------------------------
More proof:

Calcium, Vitamin D and Your Health
Author: Ruby H. Cox, PhD, RD, Associate Professor and State EFNEP/FSNEP Coordinator; Sharon (Shelly) Nickols-Richardson, PhD, RD, Assistant Professor, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise; Virginia Tec
-------Calcium is a very important mineral because it is essential for nerve messages to be passed along the nervous system from the brain to other parts of the body and vice versa.
Calcium binds fat and bile acids in the large intestine, keeping them from causing harm and (b) by preventing the excessive growth of cells in the intestines, which could otherwise
--------
Calcium Signalling in the Nervous System
Format Hardcover ISBN 0471959413 Copyright Year 1996 $260.00 (WOW pricey!) -
--------------"Calcium entry into the nerve is essential for transmitter release.Now the role of calcium in nerve activity is considered to be very important, There are 4 different identified calcium channels in nerve."
--------------
MUSCLE SPASMS/TWITCHING "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F. Balch, M.D and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.
---------"Muscle spasms and twitches are usually caused from a
magnesium and calcium deficiency." ------------------------------

People with IBS-D have UNsmooth contractions of the intestines/colon - HELLO = IBS-D! Caltrate will smooth these contractions and possibly bind excess bile (due to irritated lining), lessening diahrea.

I have also suffered levator ani syndrome (rectal spasms) and this too, has slowly diminished since supplementation.

Excuse me, I have to go take my supplement now.

Hey, little miracles happen all the time...have faith.
Nancy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WHY CALTRATE-D PLUS WORKS new
      #3295 - 03/19/03 10:51 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hey, Nancy - does it have to be caltrate? I've been taking calcium for years now (I'm 58) because of decreased hormones, and increased risk to bones, etc. ANd, I had my gall bladder out about 4 years ago and have absolutely no tolerance for dairy products--GAS bigtime! Have substituted soy, rice or almond products and they're not half bad, either.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3298 - 03/19/03 10:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Some women also find that calcium supplements help prevent/reduce menstrual cramps, which can also then help prevent related IBS spasms.

Good post and good info - thanks!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10862 - 06/05/03 01:24 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I use to take calcium every morning and I think it helped with menstrual cramps but I'm afraid it will affect my IBS since I'm constipated prone. any suggestions?

#10891 - 06/05/03 03:13 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can take a calcium/magnesium supplement to prevent the constipation.

#10892 - 06/05/03 03:14 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

How much Caltrate do you need to take? I'm also curious as to what other vitamins are helpful.

#10898 - 06/05/03 04:40 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I thought calcium increases constipation?

#10931 - 06/06/03 03:44 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here's more detail here: web page

If you want more info, do a search of the boards with no time limit on magnesium, and lots of info comes up.

Hope this helps! Any more questions, just ask!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review