All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thanksgiving IBS questions.......Heather or anyone ? new
      #28123 - 11/20/03 06:57 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Do IBS people generally have trouble eating stuffing that has cooked inside the turkey because it gets fat in it from the turkey? or not?

Also, would gravy be ok if you made the stock ahead of time and put it in the frig overnight so the fat solidifies and you take it off --- ?? thank you !!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanksgiving IBS questions.......Heather or anyone ? new
      #28126 - 11/20/03 07:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - stuffing that has cooked inside the turkey does get extra fat from the drippings. If you start with a low fat (or totally fat free) stuffing you should still be okay. Better still, make a double batch of stuffing and put half in the bird, half in a baking pan. That way you'll have stuffing without the extra fat (and also enough stuffing for leftovers!)

I'm not sure about the gravy. That's usually made from the bird drippings, which are basically pure fat. If you made a gravy from fat-free stock instead you should be just fine. There are some recipes for this on the recipe board, actually. It won't taste exactly like traditional gravy, but it will be very good, and totally safe.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanksgiving IBS questions.......Heather or anyone ?
      #28133 - 11/20/03 08:06 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

thank you for your answers!

That was the way i was planning to do the gravy -- a friend saw a recipe where you get some turkey parts ( do this days ahead of time) and roast them with veges for a long time -- then put them and the scraped glaze from the roasting in with chicken broth and cook it a long time. Then, strain out the veges and turkey parts and put that stock in the frig and so you could get all the fat off. Then, later while the turkey is cooking, and before people come, you can add in the flour or cornstarch and keep it warm in a crock pot or something. The appeal to her (she's not IBS)was that you don't have to make the gravy at the last minute when all your guests are there and there is so much going on -- and i like that too, because that is not the best scenario for me either !!
But, when she was telling me about it, it occurred to me that this might be great for IBS people.

Re: Thanksgiving IBS questions.......Heather or anyone ? new
      #28138 - 11/20/03 08:34 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Just fyi.

The Brain in Your Gut
Biology of a Thanksgiving Meal

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/web2/partner2.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Fabulous gravy idea! And very IBS safe. -nt- new
      #28147 - 11/20/03 10:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1553

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review