All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
please help make this safe
      #138007 - 01/13/05 09:04 AM
SarahFroggy

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

i'm still on the pumpkin ice cream thing and have yet to make it. all the recipes online are buy vanilla ice cream and stir in pumpkin pie filling. thats bad for the belly and lazy if you ask me..
i did find this martha stewart recipe (sometimes i'm glad she does it the hard way) and it needs to be substituted of course but i thought you ladies could help. at first i was going to use the peppermint ice cream recipe from teh book and modify but i'm not that good yet.

please help. its all i can think of..

here's the martha recipe

Pumpkin Ice Cream

The season's most distinctive natural flavor, pumpkin always tastes best with cinnamon and cloves. But this delicious ice cream - a lighter, more refreshing alternative to traditional pie - features a hint of ginger, renowned for centuries as a cleansing digestive aid. Your guests will leave the table feeling satisfied, not stuffed.

Serves 6-8

Ingredients/Shopping List:

1 pint half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of cloves

How To:

1. In a heavy medium saucepan, heat half-and-half and 1/2 cup sugar over medium-high heat until small bubbles appear around edge of pan.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Gradually whisk hot half-and-half mixture into egg-yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture coats the back of the spoon (do not boil).

3. Strain custard mixture through a fine sieve into large bowl; whisk in pumpkin, cream, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.

4. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers' instructions.

martha link

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'll give this a try... new
      #138024 - 01/13/05 10:02 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Ingredients/Shopping List:

1 pint half-and-half You could try soy creamer instead of half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar ok
4 large egg yolks 1/2 cup egg beaters
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin ok
1 cup heavy or whipping cream not sure if this will work, but cool whip is dairy free, unfortunately it's already whipped. Otherwise use the soy creamer again?
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon ok
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger ok
pinch of cloves ok

I'm really not sure about the whipping cream part, but I gave it a shot. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try! Let me know if you do! Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

would soy milk alone work? new
      #138028 - 01/13/05 10:05 AM
SarahFroggy

was hoping to just use soy milk? do you think that would work? or does it need to be thicker??
i don't want to buy millions of extra ingredients. and the selection around here doesn't seem to be good.

Re: would soy milk alone work? new
      #138029 - 01/13/05 10:08 AM
RachelT

Probably not. I think it does need to be thicker. I don't have much of a selection where I'm from either, but my local grocery store is willing to order anything for me. You could ask them if they're willing.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

What I would do... new
      #138035 - 01/13/05 10:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

is replace all the dairy with equal amounts of soy milk that you've brought to a boil in a saucepan with enough cornstarch to just slightly thicken it (so the soy milk becomes the consistency of very heavy cream). There's an ice cream recipe in Eating for IBS that will give you ratios - I can't remember the numbers off hand. Then just add your other recipe ingredients and you should be good to go. I'd omit the egg yolks altogether, and I don't think you need to use whites instead.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather! new
      #138040 - 01/13/05 10:42 AM
RachelT

Your idea is MUCH better than mine!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

thanks heather new
      #138075 - 01/13/05 12:08 PM
SarahFroggy

thanks heather. i think i might make it tonight i'll let you know how it goes.

Re: please help make this safe new
      #138111 - 01/13/05 02:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

Personally I don't see any way to make something that rich and fatty be low fat and dairy free. Using a lot of soy creamer would be close but it would be too fatty. I think recipes like this aren't worth altering as you get an inferior product.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review