Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
calcium timing question new
      #14029 - 07/14/03 10:53 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hi again,

i'm trying to get on a calcium schedule. i have the kind with 200mgvitamin d and 600mg calcium. should i take 1 pill 2x per day or 2 pills once a day? should it be before a meal, between, after and can it be combined with other pills and not have them lose efficacy?

sorry for all these questions. i really want to get on a schedule that is most beneficial.

thanks for everything and the constant support of being here.
amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: calcium timing question
      #14038 - 07/15/03 04:07 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here is some info I recently read in the June 17, 2003 edition of Woman's Day:

"Don't take more than 500 mg (from food or supplements) at one time. That's the highest amount your body can absorb at one time." - This one really got me thinking, so why are my supplements 600 mg?

"Do take it with a small amount of food. This will stimulate acid secretion, which is necessary for absorption." - I always take mine at the end of my meal.

"Don't take it with foods that are high in fiber or iron, since these nutrients can bind with the calcium and interfere with absorption. For the same reason, you shouldn't take a vitamin or mineral supplement that contains iron at the same time you take calcium." - Well, there's not much getting around the fiber on this one with Eating for IBS! I tell myself that's why the calcium supplements are 600 mg, to help make up for losing some to fiber. But, I take my fiber supplement at a different time, just to be safe. My doc recently told me to take meds either 1 hour before or 2 hours after my fiber supplement. Also, I take my multi at a different time because of the iron.

Also, it notes all women should consume no more than 2,500 mg of calcium a day. So, if you need to find out how much calcium is in a food you're eating, multiply the percent listed on the nutrition label by 1,000 (the standard daily value for calcium). So, if something says it has 25% calcium on the label, it would be 250 mg.

Hope that helps!

queenie, please help! new
      #14039 - 07/15/03 04:10 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Hi Queenie, I don't think we have talked before so, nice to meet you ! How are you feeling, you have had a tough time of it. I read a past post where you mentioned you had some kidney problems. If you don't mind me asking, what are your kidney conditions? I have IBS-C but also have bilateral calcium oxalate kidney stones. I am desperately trying to put together a diet/supplement plan that is appropriate for me. Calcium is a big issue in both IBS and kidney stones. With my IBS I cannot tolerate ANY dairy. Most recent research suggests that lack of calcium in the diet can contribute to kidney stones (contrary to the previous belief that it caused them). It is currently believed that calcium supplements are not safe for the stone former, only dietary calcium is safe. There is some speculation that a calcium/magnesium supplement combo taken only with meals MAY be safe. Other dietary sources of calcium are vegetables that also seem to be high in oxalates (like spinach and nuts) so those are out. See my problem? I am sorry to go on like this, but I am searching for some solutions. My urologist just gives me a quick answer and no real way to fix the problem. I have been checking online for a good kidney related message board, but can't seem to find anything decent. Do you know of any? THANK YOU for listening; ANY input would be SO appreciated. artist

just don't want this message to get buried new
      #14061 - 07/15/03 08:35 AM
artist

Re: queenie, please help! new
      #14070 - 07/15/03 10:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Both soy and almonds are good sources of calcium. Can you work those into your diet?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: queenie, please help! new
      #14093 - 07/15/03 02:20 PM
queenie

hi

i have ibs d so i take calcium with d, not magnesium though i have no idea on how it effects kidney function.

to make a long story short, i was born with a double ureter in which the second worked as a reverse cyphen (sp) bringing the toxic urine back through the kidney. as i physically grew the problem worked itself out. i do have bouts with kidney pain and infections still. i did have a kidney stone a few years back that i passed naturally. so that's about what i know on kidneys unfortunately it's not really ibs related unless the massvie antiobiotics i took for well over a decade made it worse.

what i do know, my mom has the double ureter, too along with major kidney damage from stones is that you need to limit protein and take meds like ultram for pain. the other ones they had her one were not good for the stones and possible heart issues (yes i'm one genetic problem after another:)

i know consuming dairy can actually deplete your calcium levels which really irritates me that all thsoe dairy commercials brag about how much good stuff you are getting.

let me know if you figure out anything else to help ibs and kidneys. since they don't bother me near as often as ibs i've devoted myself to "curing" my ibs but i'm sure the stones will return. you might need to get your kidneys checked out by a nephrologist (sp, again) which is a dr that specializes in kidneys only. they are actually much better than regular urologists alone and could give you more insight as to how to treat kidney and ibs problems. my mom had reduced circulation so they put a stint in her kidney which helped. she's also had countless lithotripsies (sp) that really screwed her up...stupid quack dr did them constantly and caused permanent damage.

sorry that this probably isn't what you were looking for. the most i can urge you to do is see a nephrologist and a doc that really cares about you and the complexity of the issues at hand

amy

Re: queenie, please help! almonds new
      #14094 - 07/15/03 02:21 PM
queenie

i'd love to add almonds. how many can i eat w/o risking an attack?

i'm trying to add more soy. the bad part is that i've come to terms with the fact that i can't cook it. i tried all weekend. i need a soy for dummies book

amy

Re: queenie, please help! almonds new
      #14098 - 07/15/03 02:58 PM
GEA

Reged: 04/06/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi Queenie,
I have kidney stones, a cyst in one and a benign tumor in the other, but the IBS bothers me a lot more.
I drink Almond milk instead of soy milk and I love soy yogurt. All soy yogurt is not created equal! I really like the trader Joe's brand that they just came out with. The Almond milk is great and I don't have any problems with it. It comes in a carton just like the soy milk and is usually in the same area of the store (healthfoods) where they sell the soy milk. I like the vanilla flavor the best. Probably easier than eating the whole almond on the digestion. I also get raw almond butter that I eat sometimes when I feel I can tolerate it. I like it better than peanut butter. It's highly nutritious but high in oil. So between the soy yogurt and the almond milk I figure it all helps my calcium levels. There are a whole lot of calcium supplements out there including a liquid. I take Jarrow brand "bone-up" which contains hydroxyapatite and is the only type of calcium that reduces bone loss as far as I know. It also says that it helps build bone mass in teens and young adults and my reduce risk of osteoporosis later in life. It takes six pills to get 1000mg. but it does contain magnesium which can be a problem for some.

--------------------
~GEA~

Thanks guys! new
      #14101 - 07/15/03 03:47 PM
artist

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will definately consider switching to a nephrologist instead of continuing with the urologist. I have to avoid oxalates and ironically the non-dairy foods that are high in calcium are also the highest in oxalate including soy and almonds. For any one who is interested, a very informative book on kidney stones is "No More Kidney Stones" by Rodman, Seidman and Jones. There is a great deal of info on dietary considerations. If anyone comes across a good k.s. message board please let me know. Best of Luck all. artist

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review