All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather, I know you're not a doc, but... new
      #13615 - 07/09/03 10:10 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Tomorrow is a fast day in Judaism. Do you think it's ok for folks with IBS to fast? why/why not? Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

P.S. I've fasted before like this...I just want your opinion in terms of IBS and if I should tell my Rabbi it might not be a great idea for me with this "condition".

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, I know you're not a doc, but... new
      #13616 - 07/09/03 10:15 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I don't think that it would do any harm. I always feel better when I eat less, but I do notice that I cannot go more than four or five hours without food. I get jittery, irritable and sometimes a headache.

I've been doing a search on water-based veggie soups and came up with a couple of good ones for times when solid foods aren't doing the trick for me. One's a cabbage soup and another is a tomato tofu soup. I haven't tried them yet, but am headed to the store right now for the ingredients. If you want the recipes let me know.

--------------------
~jules

#13619 - 07/09/03 10:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

Jules,

You're awesome...and super sweet! I would love the recipes! Thanks!

How did pilates go for you the other night...I forgot to ask you...

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13620 - 07/09/03 10:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Jules,

You're awesome...and super sweet! I would love the recipes! Thanks!

P.S. We actually don't drink during the fast days...not even water...but I'm still interested in the recipes
How did pilates go for you the other night...I forgot to ask you...

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Heather, I know you're not a doc, but...
      #13622 - 07/09/03 10:31 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - I don't think it's a good idea. One of the key things about managing IBS is that it depends on consistency. You need to do lots of boring things on a daily basis, some things all day long (keep your gut filled with soluble fiber, plenty of water, helpful herbal teas, exercise, stress management, enough sleep, etc.). Fasting is a serious disruption in a pattern of stability, and it can cause problems. The emptier your stomach is the more likely you are to have an over-reaction from foods that are eventually put into it. Plus, the more likely you are to overeat, because you'll be so hungry.

If you can opt-out of this with your rabbi's blessing, that's what I'd do. IBS is a legitimate medical disorder and fasting is harmful for people with IBS.

If you have to fast, definitely don't restrict your fluid intake and at least keep taking your soluble fiber supplement (I guess I'm assuming that would be permitted since it's not food).

Since you're still struggling to stabilize in the first place, I really wouldn't throw a wrench into things at this point. If fasting (or coming off the fast - that's the really risky time) causes problems it could set off days of symptoms and then you're battling to get right back to where you were.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13623 - 07/09/03 10:31 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ah, geez...I didn't do my Pilaes! I'm such a lazy arse! I'm definitely planning on doing them tonite, though. I got my period yesterday, and things always seem to loosen up when that comes for some strange reason. I have major cramps, so the exercise will do me good!

Ok here's the Tomato Tofu soup recipe from www.allrecipes.com:

4 cups tomato, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil (I'm substituting that with Pam Olive Oil spray)
14 oz. soft tofu
2 10oz. cans condenced tomato soup
salt and pepper

1. Saute onions and tomatos in olive oil spray
2. Blend tomato soup and tofu, then add to onion/tomato mix. Warm through and add water as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped fresh basil.

Makes six servings

NI:
160 calories
0 fat (original recipe says 6 but that's with Olive Oil)
7 protein
21 carb
2 fiber

My favorite meal when I was younger was tomato with practically a sleeve of saltine crackers smushed in it. I'm hoping that this will taste the same. That's also my dad's favorite meal, and figuring his cooking skills, we had it a LOT! LOL....

I don't want to overwhelm this post with recipes, so I'll be posting the Cabbage Soup Recipe in the Recipe Forum when I get a chance.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review