IBS Diet Quick Tip!
Is Dairy an IBS Trigger?
Tip Takeaway: There's really no such thing as dairy that doesn't have IBS triggers: fat, lactose, casein, and whey. Completely eliminating dairy from your diet can make a huge difference!
- Yes! Dairy is high in fat, lactose (milk sugar and a FODMAP), plus casein and whey (dairy proteins). All of these are difficult to digest and likely severe IBS triggers.
- Dairy can cause painful spasms, diarrhea, and constipation in people who don't even have IBS. Imagine what it can do to you.
- Lactose intolerance or IBS? These are two different disorders.
- You can be lactose intolerant and have IBS.
- You can also not be lactose intolerant and have IBS, and dairy will still cause trouble.
- Why? Because dairy is an IBS trigger even if you're not lactose or FODMAP intolerant.
- What about yogurt? It's still dairy, and it's still a likely IBS trigger.
- Yogurt is fermented, which reduces lactose levels. But it still has milk fat, and even non-fat versions have whey and casein.
- Get the benefits of live cultures with a non-dairy yogurt instead, or a non-dairy probiotic supplement.
- What about Lactaid? It only affects lactose. This is not about lactose intolerance, it's about IBS, which means a likely dairy intolerance.
- Use soy, rice, almond, oat, or hemp substitutes for milk, cheese, ice cream, and cooking. Try different brands and flavors - many are delicious!
- As always with IBS, the key here is substitution, never deprivation.
- Overwhelmed at the thought of a life without dairy? Hang in there, it's easier - and tastier - than you think. Get help from a dairy-free IBS cookbook for simple ideas and safe recipes.
Heather Van Vorous &
Heather's Tummy Care
Over 15 Years of IBS Business!
Have other IBS questions? Please call us toll free 866-640-4942.
Outside the continental US? Call direct 206-264-8069.
Get more IBS help at HelpForIBS.com!
See all the IBS Quick Tips!
Thank you for your continued support!
The goal of Heather's Tummy Care is to do good in the world - not just for IBS, but for our employees, our customers, our natural world and its magnificent creatures, and both our local and global communities. We contribute to national and international environmental and wildlife protection funds.
Millions of albatross chicks starve
to death on plastic ocean garbage.
Help us end elephant slaughter.
You're on this newsletter list because you have expressed interest in IBS news and information.
Change your newsletter email address here.
If you are viewing this newsletter on a website and would like to subscribe for email delivery, please "Join the IBS Newsletter" here.
ANTI-SPAM PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
Heather's Tummy Care
80 S. Washington St, #304
Seattle, WA 98104 USA
© 2017 Heather Van Vorous, Heather's Tummy Care. All rights reserved.
Authored by Heather Van Vorous. May not be reproduced without permission.
USA Copyright Office Registration Number TXU 1-270-858 and others.