What, safe cookies?? It's true! They're safe and they taste sooo amazing! I admit that when I made these I used the whole eggs, because it was before starting Heather's diet, but another reviewer on the site I got them from used egg whites and said they were terrific! You have to add the icing, because it totally makes the cookies!
(Makes 48 cookies)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening (use soy margarine)
3 eggs (use 6 egg whites or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 Tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend the white sugar and shortening until light.
3. Beat in the egg whites, soy milk, vanilla and 1 teaspoon lemon extract.
4. Mix until well blended.
5. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture.
7. Mix until combined (the dough will be sticky).
8. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. (I used a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray)
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
10. Let cookies cool on cooling rack.
11. To make icing: combine the confectioner's sugar, water and lemon extract to taste.
12. Beat until smooth and make icing thick enough to spread on cooled cookies (add more sugar if needed).