Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)
Island Bird: Pineapple-Rum Chicken
      06/22/06 10:08 AM

From 365: No Repeats by Rachel Ray, copyright 2005. This has some of the same flavors as AtomicRose's Rum-Glazed Pineapple, Mango & Chicken Skewers and is quite good.

Island Bird: Pineapple-Rum Chicken

1-1/2 cups jasmine rice, any brand
1 whole pineapple, cored and peeled (see Tidbit below)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil (cut this down to 1 Tablespoon or use cooking spray instead)
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Coarse salt (I used plain old ordinary table salt)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup (a 2-ounce nip) spiced rum, such as Captain Morgan's
2 cups chicken stock or broth (low or no-fat)
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Coarse black pepper
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (a generous handful), chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (a palmful), chopped.

Cook the rice according to the package directions. While it cooks, make the chicken and sauce.

Cut the pineapple into bite-size chunks.

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of the vegetable oil. (Reduce oil or use cooking spray.)

Add the onions, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.

Add the pineapple chunks and the juice from the container, no more than 1/2 cup, and stir to combine.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the spiced rum. Return the pan to the heat, keeping a little distance in case the pot flames up. You can flame it on purpose, if you want to look cool. Either way, let the alcohol cook away, 1 minute.

Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a simmer, then cook until it reduces by half and has thickened slightly.

While the sauce is simmering, preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil. (Reduce oil or use cooking spray.)

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. For a smoky taste, grill the chicken on a grill pan or on an outdoor grill.

Slice the breasts and return to the large skillet. Pour in the pineapple and sauce and combine with a good shake of the pan.

Add the parsley and cilantro to the pan and turn off the heat. Let stand for a minute or two.

Serve up the jasmine rice and top with liberal ladles of the Island Bird.

Tidbit: You can often find whole pineapples already peeled and cored in pouches of tall plastic containers. Check the fresh produce section.

Notes:

I would leave out the red pepper flakes, but Joe likes them. Sigh.

The peeled and cored pineapple I bought didn't have even 1/2 cup of juice, so I just used what I had and it turned out fine.

We cooked the chicken on the grill, so I was able to use the whole 1 Tablespoon of oil in the sauce.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Island Bird: Pineapple-Rum Chicken Sand 06/22/06 10:08 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design