Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: Latkes
      12/30/05 10:50 AM

I've definitely made latkes before without deep frying them - just pan frying them on the stove in a little bit of cooking spray - and they still come out fantastic

Here's a pretty good recipe (makes a lot):

Source: "Fat-Free Holiday Recipes" by Sandra Woodruff, RD

Yield: 24 pancakes

* 2 1/2 pounds large baking potatoes
* 1 medium Spanish onion
* 4 egg whites
* 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Scrub the potatoes, but leave them unpeeled. Coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl of ice water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drain off the water and roll the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water. Coarsely grate the onions.

Place the grated potatoes and onions in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well.

Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet and spread to form a 3 1/2-inch pancake. Cook for 6 minutes on each side over medium-low heat or until golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside. As the pancakes are done, transfer them to a serving plate and keep warm in a preheated oven.

Serve warm with applesauce or nonfat [SOY] sour cream.

You can also bake-fry latkes by frying them in the oven. Preheat a nonstick frying pan in a hot oven. Spray it with olive oil (or place a few spoonfuls of oil on the baking sheet and swirl it around with the back of a wooden spoon). Spoon the potato mixture onto the baking sheet in small mounds and "fry" the resulting pancakes in the oven. The hot baking sheet acts like a deep fat fryer, while the small amount of oil helps the latkes crisp and brown. Bake-frying works better with smaller pieces of food, so form the latkes in 2-1/2-inch disks that you can gobble in one or two bites.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Latkes Computr821 12/29/05 09:31 AM
. * Thanks to everyone who posted! -nt- Computr821   12/31/05 03:30 PM
. * my recipe I plan on making khyricat   12/30/05 08:20 PM
. * Re: Latkes retrograde   12/30/05 10:50 AM
. * I have several baked latke recipes... khyricat   12/30/05 06:08 AM
. * Re: I have several baked latke recipes... Computr821   12/30/05 07:44 AM
. * I'll try after work tonight... nt khyricat   12/30/05 12:02 PM
. * Re: Latkes *Melissa*   12/29/05 10:16 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1065

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design