Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04
I made a fabulous tomato-free, vegetarian chili tonight!
      10/25/05 12:08 AM

Thanks to Kate's mock-tomato sauce , which I covet, since I can't handle tomatoes at all. I can't find the link with your recipe Kate, but this is pretty close, or what I did at least! Also I apologize for the lack of exact measurements... that's the way I do everything

Anyway, it turned out really, really well - I was kind of shocked actually how much it really did taste like a tomato based chili!

Tomato-Free Vegetarian Chili

To make the "mock tomato sauce," put all the following ingredients into a blender or food processer and blend until sauce-consistency:
- a can of beets (drained)
- a can of carrots (drained)
- fresh herbs (I used basil and parsley)
- a few fresh chili peppers (depending on how hot you want it!)
- enough lemon juice or vinegar to make it "acidy" like tomatoes (I used both, lemon juice and RED WINE vinegar, which was a great choice). This is to taste, and depending on your tolerance to acidity of course, but I think I probably used total 1/4 cup lemon juice + vinegar
- enough vegetable broth to get the right consistency, if needed

Mix the sauce with a can of mixed beans (kidney, white, chick peas etc. - or whatever kind of beans you like) and a can of mushrooms. (If you were to use fresh mushrooms, obviously you'd cook them first. And I sauteed my mushrooms before using them too because even though they're cooked, I find canned mushroom so ugh, soggy, lol)

Add to the chili, to taste (I was fairly liberal with all these):
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- cumin (lots and lots)
- cayenne pepper (if you want more heat, which I did)
- and a bit of honey (about 2-3 tsps I'd say)

Heat in a saucepan or in the microwave and serve over rice or a baked potato, or with bread for dipping.

Notes: If you heat this in a saucepan instead of the microwave and let it simmer for a while, the flavours will be blended much better.

And obviously, it would be much better with FRESH ingredients rather than canned... but it was still good with canned too and soooo ridiculously quick easy to throw together.

The mushrooms add a nice "meatiness" even though it's totally vegetarian. However, you could quite easily add some ground turkey if you wanted to too!

You could also add cooked vegetables like onions, celery and green peppers, typically found in chili. That would have taken longer though lol and it was good without them too.

Edited by retrograde (10/25/05 12:17 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* CHILI! :) uwponine 10/07/05 06:14 PM
. * I made a fabulous tomato-free, vegetarian chili tonight! retrograde   10/25/05 12:08 AM
. * I made this tonight kshsmom   11/01/05 07:40 PM
. * Ooh I'm glad you liked it! retrograde   11/03/05 06:27 AM
. * Re: Maybe I'm gross, but Wind   11/03/05 10:18 AM
. * Re: I made a fabulous tomato-free, vegetarian chili tonight! Wind   10/25/05 02:02 PM
. * Re: I made a fabulous tomato-free, vegetarian chili tonight! retrograde   10/27/05 09:24 PM
. * Re: I made a fabulous tomato-free, vegetarian chili tonight! Wind   10/28/05 08:44 AM
. * I'm a little late... RachelT   10/23/05 02:41 PM
. * ooo ok! Little Minnie   10/10/05 04:13 PM
. * Re: CHILI! :) bump -nt- uwponine   10/10/05 02:51 AM
. * Re: CHILI! :) Sand   10/08/05 01:54 PM
. * Here's mine! atomic rose   10/07/05 06:20 PM
. * It's there! *Melissa*   10/08/05 06:57 AM
. * LOL!! atomic rose   10/08/05 11:26 AM
. * LOL, no problem! *Melissa*   10/10/05 05:53 PM
. * And mine! Kree   10/07/05 07:07 PM
. * Mine too! Linz   10/08/05 11:49 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design