Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA
Chicken Tetrazzini
      08/28/05 08:24 AM

This recipe is from Weight Watchers. My modifications are in all caps.

Points value: 5
Servings: 8
Prep time: 25 min.
Cook time: 45 min.
Level of difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients:

12 oz. whole wheat egg noodles (NO YOLKS)
1 serving cooking spray
2 TB fat-free margarine (SMART BALANCE LITE)
3 TB tarragon flavored vinegar (I USED TARRAGON WINE VINEGAR - DIDN'T REALIZE THIS UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE, BUT IT WORKED OUT FINE)
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (about 6 cups)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 cup fat free skim milk (SOY MILK)
4tsp. arrowroot powder (This is a thickener. You could likely use cornstarch instead, but I don't know the measurement)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (GALAXY SOUR CREAM SUBSTITUTE)
3 cups cooked chicken breast in bite-size pieces
1 c. frozen peas & carrots, thawed. (I USED FROZEN PEAS AND FRESH CARROTS)
3 TB non-fat grated cheese topping (Galaxy cheese sprinkles)

Instructions:
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions with added salt; drain and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

3. Heat 1 TB margerine and all the vinegar in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside.

4. Whisk broth, milk and arrowroot together in a medium-size sauce pan until smooth. Stir in remaining TB margarine; set over medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened and boiling, about 8 minutes. Stir in thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

5. Combine cooked noodles, chicken, mushrooms, peas & carrots, and sauce in a large bowl. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with grated topping. Bake until bubbling and hot and top is starting to turn brown, about 20 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.

Snorkie's Comments: The seasoning seemed a little bland to me. I shook in some garlic powder and that did the trick. (Garlic is not a trigger for me.) I only used 3 cups of mushrooms, but that was just a husband-preference issue.

This was a tasty meal, but the sauce never thickened enough for me. I don't know if it was just my bad luck & inexperience with sauces, or if there's properties in soy products that don't allow them to thicken the same way as dairy. Any ideas?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Chicken Tetrazzini Snorkie 08/28/05 08:24 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design