Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

StymiedChef

Reged: 03/01/05
Loc: Washington State, USA
Re: Yum!
      03/02/05 07:41 PM

I do a lot of things with tofu - you can bake it in a glass pan covered with your favorite safe barbeque sauce, and then slice it thin and have it on sourdough rolls - yummy!
One thing i learned to do with tofo from "A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen" was braise it. In order to adapt that for IBS safe diets, I would probably bake it in any of the sauces he lists - some are savory, some more spicey and thai flavored - I haven't looked at that book in quite some time but they had it at the library (where I often check out cookbooks!) I have made a nice approximation of chicken noodle soup with tofo that's baked in lemon and rosemary, and then I add that to my soup at the last minute, with the cooked noodles.

It's also lovely just plain in broth with tiny slices of carrot and mushroom for texture.

Silken tofo is amazing for desserts. You can blend it with flavorings into seriously decadent puddings - there are nice examples at vegweb. Another great use for silken tofu is making dressings - that stuff will blend into such a creamy smoothness you'd swear it was dairy.

Crescent Dragonwagon's "Passionate Vegetarian" has this fab recipe for tofu sourcream:

1 box silken reduced fat tofu
1 tsp umeboshi plum paste
1/2 tsp salt
2 tb olive oil, tahini or cashew butter (the tahini might be the best option for IBS)
1 1/2 tbst sweetener (lists: sugar, honey, rapicura, rice syrup, sucanat, etc)
blend within an inch of it's life! yay!

ok enough from me for one evening. if anyone has any input on the ingredients in these things, please let me know. I'm still sorting out my diet, my kitchen, my recipes, and my body.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* New to Tofu ... any suggestions for EASY recipes? KimGun 01/05/05 02:09 PM
. * You Betcha! Bevvy   03/03/05 03:28 PM
. * Re: New to Tofu ... any suggestions for EASY recipes? Meryl36   03/03/05 08:06 AM
. * Re: New to Tofu ... any suggestions for EASY recipes? StymiedChef   03/02/05 03:49 PM
. * Yum! atomic rose   03/02/05 04:30 PM
. * Re: Yum! StymiedChef   03/02/05 07:41 PM
. * Here's a dumb question... atomic rose   03/02/05 08:16 PM
. * Re: Here's a dumb question... StymiedChef   03/03/05 01:07 AM
. * Re: Here's a dumb question... Ravenndark   03/03/05 05:51 PM
. * Another suggestion... atomic rose   03/02/05 03:10 PM
. * One for the summer: Tofu on Stilts (Dengaku) atomic rose   03/02/05 03:05 PM
. * Re: New to Tofu ... any suggestions for EASY recipes? Miss Kate   01/05/05 04:44 PM
. * Yes, tofu and veggie stir-fry on rice! Sara-Sage   01/05/05 04:40 PM
. * Re: Yes, tofu and veggie stir-fry on rice! Snow for Sarala   03/02/05 02:52 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design