Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Heather & Company View Cart
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

lalala

Reged: 02/14/05
Re: I can't stand this.
      07/31/07 08:41 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad! It is frustrating, trying to learn how to manage your IBS, especially because it can take a lot of trial and error and time. Since you have IBS-D, you should try taking Imodium until you get stable. A lot of us have used it as a preventive, taking it before an attack. For example, I would take half a dose (1 caplet) in the evenings OR in the morning. If I had an attack, then I'd take another caplet.

You mention this: "I read on this site that if you need to just get your body back into regularity, just eat bread for 3 days and drink water." That's INCORRECT. Actually, that's not Heather's recommendation at all. Breaking the Cycle (aka What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything) recommends eating soluble fiber foods -- not just bread -- for a few days. So, you could be eating mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas, and (there's a list of soluble fiber foods under IBS Diet FAQs, link is to the left). Chicken broth or chicken breast is also a safe way to get protein during this time. You'll just want to make sure your meals are small and maybe have five small meals a day. For me, when I was starting out, a good meal to have was chicken breast w/ white rice and some cooked carrots. It's not the most flavorful dish, but it was a very soothing, easy to digest meal, especially for someone with IBS-D.

Have you looked at the information on the main site or checked out Heather's The First Year: IBS? These are much better ways to understand the IBS Diet. The boards can be helpful too, but I really feel it's more important to understand IBS and the diet by following one set of guidelines or one "guru" (as some people call her) -- for me, that's Heather.

In the meantime, what kind of fiber are you taking? How were you diagnosed with IBS? If the peppermint tea is not working for you, then just stop taking it. Maybe you can try it later (it really does help with cramping) or a different kind of tea. If you're not using Imodium right now, you should get some. Many GI doctors have recommended that we IBSers use Imodium as a maintenance drug to help control our D symptoms. You don't have to take it forever, but having it and taking it will give you some more confidence to get out or try new foods.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I can't stand this. Fuzzle 07/31/07 07:19 PM
. * Hang In There Stephie   08/02/07 12:19 AM
. * Re: Hang In There Fuzzle   08/04/07 01:29 AM
. * Re: Hang In There caputsky   08/06/07 02:39 PM
. * Re: Hang In There tired of it 1   08/06/07 09:50 PM
. * Re: Hang In There caputsky   08/07/07 10:40 AM
. * Re: Hang In There melinda413   08/14/07 07:44 AM
. * Re: Hang In There IBSHell   08/06/07 01:41 PM
. * Re: Hang In There Stephie   08/05/07 08:11 PM
. * Re: Hang In There Bethlehem   08/06/07 06:34 AM
. * Re: Hang In There Sand   08/05/07 11:39 AM
. * Really great post, Stephie. -nt- Sand   08/02/07 10:54 AM
. * Re: I can't stand this. lalala   07/31/07 08:41 PM
. * Re: I can't stand this. mimi321   07/31/07 08:29 PM
. * Re: I can't stand this. Fuzzle   07/31/07 09:11 PM
. * Re: I can't stand this. MelanieR   08/04/07 11:14 PM
. * Re: I can't stand this. IBSHell   08/01/07 02:42 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5238

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design