Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> Crohn’s Disease and Colitis Board Discussions

laurenbren

Reged: 05/10/09
Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease
      05/10/09 05:48 PM

I think another user's suggestion to find a support group is extremely important. I have had stomach problems for many years and was very embarassed as a teenager. While I'm sure my mom would have been more than happy to help me and talk to me, I was horrified. You are talking about very embarassing symptoms-even to talk about with your mom. It may even be helpful to point him to this message board so he can talk to other people who have the same problems. Let him know you are there if he wants to talk to you but that there are other people who know exactly what he's going through and can help. Also make sure he can talk annonymously-meaning without you reading-if he chooses.

It is going to take time-I'm now 23 and still get mad that I have to take medicines and follow special diets. It is so frustrating to know you can't eat like other people. It is especially hard as a teenager when you just want to be like everyone else. I've come to terms with it, but it took me a very long time to figure out that it is something I have to do. You can't force him to take the medicine, but it may be helpful if his doctors explain exactly why he needs it and what it does.

I wish you and your son the best of luck. I have been right where he is, and I can say it is very scary. While you're relieved to finally know what is happening to you, you're terrified about what it means for your future and your social life.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest purchasing Heather's books for him to read that will help him understand what is going on and what can help him. It is also nice to know even if nobody you personally know has this problem, there are many people in the world who do.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Just a few things about Crohn's Disease Ziggy 04/18/09 04:33 AM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease laurenbren   05/10/09 05:48 PM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease kim123   05/10/09 06:18 PM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease laurenbren   05/10/09 06:48 PM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease kim123   05/11/09 01:05 PM
. * For Kim123 osbo54   05/11/09 02:15 PM
. * Re: For Kim123 kim123   05/13/09 01:34 PM
. * Re: For Kim123 osbo54   05/13/09 05:36 PM
. * Re: For Kim123 kim123   05/13/09 06:56 PM
. * Re: For Kim123 osbo54   05/14/09 09:37 AM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease kim123   04/20/09 06:42 PM
. * Re: Just a few things about Crohn's Disease glasgowgirl   04/22/09 10:34 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design