Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome   
Heather & Company View Cart  
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder  
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY
Yet another chili recipe!
      02/12/05 04:27 PM

As we've established, you can never have too many chili recipes. So here's another one.

Kree's Sweet and "Meaty" Vegetarian Chili
(Makes 4-6 servings)

A few years ago, I had the best chili I ever tasted at Earle Estates Meadery on Seneca Lake. I knew they had made it with honey, so I decided to experiment and see what I could come up with. I think this is just as fabulous, and it's so quick and easy. I bet even meat eaters would have trouble figuring out that it's made with TVP instead of beef. It's a very mild chili, so add some heat if that's the way you like it.

Ingredients:
1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP)
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 Tbsp chili powder (or more to taste)
1 15-oz can red beans
1 15-oz can black beans
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery, and onion (Hunts)
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp honey (or more to taste)
vegetable broth (or chicken broth for non-vegetarians--if needed)

Steps:
1. Combine the TVP, lukewarm water, and chili powder; allow to sit for about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
2. Rinse the beans thoroughly to cut down on the sodium content.
3. Combine the rehydrated TVP, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, and honey in a large pot; turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
4. You may need to add some broth if it gets too thick.
5. Taste the chili and add more honey or spices as desired.
6. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, or until it's nice and warm; the time is pretty flexible since you're just heating everything up.
7. This is great served over a baked potato and sprinkled with shredded cheddar soy cheese! You can also serve it on rice or toast, or however you prefer.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Yet another chili recipe! Kree 02/12/05 04:27 PM
. * Re: Yet another chili recipe! Jennifer1946   05/02/05 12:00 AM
. * Jennifer Kree   05/02/05 07:07 PM
. * textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada SEWRIGHT   05/01/05 06:20 AM
. * Re: textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada Kree   05/01/05 10:50 AM
. * Re: textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada Wind   05/01/05 04:52 PM
. * Re: textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada Kree   05/02/05 07:05 PM
. * I buy Yves brand, they have it at most grocery stores -nt- retrograde   05/01/05 07:57 PM
. * Re: Yet another chili recipe! Passanie   04/30/05 10:38 PM
. * Seneca Lake Kree   05/01/05 05:50 AM
. * Re: Seneca Lake Passanie   05/01/05 10:20 AM
. * Re: Seneca Lake Kree   05/01/05 10:49 AM
. * Re: Yet another chili recipe! atomic rose   02/12/05 05:26 PM
. * Re: Yet another chili recipe! Kree   02/12/05 07:06 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas™ | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design