Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome†††
Heather & Company View Cart
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas

All Boards >> IBS Recipe Discussions

Pages: 1
littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10
Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet
† † † #359189 - 06/09/10 08:23 PM

Hey everyone,

I posted something on the general forum the other day about how I was having trouble getting back on Heather's diet. Someone suggested that I should identify my challenges.

My biggest challenge is sweets. I can go without candy, but I constantly crave cake, cookies, ice cream, etc. I can resist the sweet stuff early in the day (a bowl of Fiber One cereal and blueberries satisfies me in the morning), but by the time dinner rolls around I am willing to trade a gourmet meal for a bowl of ice cream or some chocolate chip cookies.

Fried foods and meat are easy for me to give up. Occasionally I will have a craving for a juicy steak or onion rings, but not often.

I guess my biggest weaknesses are:

cheese (all kinds - I love it!)
ice cream
cakes & cookies
pancakes
coffee

Does anyone have any recipes with safe substitutes for these foods? I have tried a couple of really good muffin recipes from the recipe exchange, but I have yet to find something that calms my nagging sweet tooth.

Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

Post Extras: Print PostRemind Me!Notify Moderator
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)
Re: Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet new
† † † #359190 - 06/09/10 08:59 PM

Cheese is tough. There are soy and rice cheeses. The one I've found that tastes the best is Lisanatti cheese but it can be hard to find, at least on the East Coast. I used to find it at Trader Joe's but haven't been to one in quite a while.

Ice cream. There are some very good soy ice creams. You can't go crazy because they are high in fat but a little (ROFL) after a high-SF meal is fine. Hereís an old, old post about yummy ice creams. I canít guarantee they still make all those brands and flavors:

soy and rice ice cream

Cakes and cookies. You may be able to tolerate Duncan Hines mixes. Make them with only egg whites. I make a half-box at a time into cupcakes and eat them without icing. There are some icing recipes in the Recipe Index but I haven't tried any of them.

Hereís a little round-up I did of some chocolatey stuff, including chocolate chip cookies:

Chocolate Recipes

Here's a variation on the Anti-Depressant Brownies that includes chocolate frosting (I haven't tried it but it sounds wonderful):

AD Brownies with Chocolate Frosting

There are lots of angel food cake recipes in the Recipe Index. The mocha and pineapple ones are my favorites:

Mocha Angel Food Cake

Pineapple Angel Food Cake

There's a great pancake recipe on the Board:

Mark's Super Lowfat Pancakes - These are wonderful. Throw in some blueberries or pecans if you can tolerate but they're great plain, too. Eat with Smart Balance Light and syrup or a little sugar. Yum.

I didnít drink coffee before I was diagnosed so that I canít help you with.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10
Re: Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet new
† † † #359192 - 06/09/10 10:04 PM

Wow! Thank you so much, Sand. This is a really good list. I think I will try the pancakes tomorrow. I can't wait!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
††††† You cannot post until you login
††††† You cannot reply until you login
††††† HTML is enabled
††††† UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2143

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews | IBS Support Groups
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teasô | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

© 1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design