All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet
      #359189 - 06/09/10 08:23 PM
littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10

Hey everyone,

I posted something on the general forum the other day about how I was having trouble getting back on Heather's diet. Someone suggested that I should identify my challenges.

My biggest challenge is sweets. I can go without candy, but I constantly crave cake, cookies, ice cream, etc. I can resist the sweet stuff early in the day (a bowl of Fiber One cereal and blueberries satisfies me in the morning), but by the time dinner rolls around I am willing to trade a gourmet meal for a bowl of ice cream or some chocolate chip cookies.

Fried foods and meat are easy for me to give up. Occasionally I will have a craving for a juicy steak or onion rings, but not often.

I guess my biggest weaknesses are:

cheese (all kinds - I love it!)
ice cream
cakes & cookies
pancakes
coffee

Does anyone have any recipes with safe substitutes for these foods? I have tried a couple of really good muffin recipes from the recipe exchange, but I have yet to find something that calms my nagging sweet tooth.

Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet new
      #359190 - 06/09/10 08:59 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Cheese is tough. There are soy and rice cheeses. The one I've found that tastes the best is Lisanatti cheese but it can be hard to find, at least on the East Coast. I used to find it at Trader Joe's but haven't been to one in quite a while.

Ice cream. There are some very good soy ice creams. You can't go crazy because they are high in fat but a little (ROFL) after a high-SF meal is fine. Here's an old, old post about yummy ice creams. I can't guarantee they still make all those brands and flavors:

soy and rice ice cream

Cakes and cookies. You may be able to tolerate Duncan Hines mixes. Make them with only egg whites. I make a half-box at a time into cupcakes and eat them without icing. There are some icing recipes in the Recipe Index but I haven't tried any of them.

Here's a little round-up I did of some chocolatey stuff, including chocolate chip cookies:

Chocolate Recipes

Here's a variation on the Anti-Depressant Brownies that includes chocolate frosting (I haven't tried it but it sounds wonderful):

AD Brownies with Chocolate Frosting

There are lots of angel food cake recipes in the Recipe Index. The mocha and pineapple ones are my favorites:

Mocha Angel Food Cake

Pineapple Angel Food Cake

There's a great pancake recipe on the Board:

Mark's Super Lowfat Pancakes - These are wonderful. Throw in some blueberries or pecans if you can tolerate but they're great plain, too. Eat with Smart Balance Light and syrup or a little sugar. Yum.

I didn't drink coffee before I was diagnosed so that I can't help you with.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Wanted: Recipes to get back on Heather's diet new
      #359192 - 06/09/10 10:04 PM
littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10

Wow! Thank you so much, Sand. This is a really good list. I think I will try the pancakes tomorrow. I can't wait!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review