All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup"
      #321085 - 12/20/07 09:11 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

For use in recipes that call for condensed cream of mushroom soup. I just posted this on the IBS Diet board but thought I'd post it here too in case anyone was interested!

***Warning - I have not yet tried this recipe - and it is one that I've made up myself - but considering what I know about cooking, and from what I've read about regular cream soup recipes, I don't really see why this wouldn't work!

1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
1/3 cup soy milk or other "milk" of choice
1/2 cup of vegetable broth (I find vegetable more flavourful than chicken broth, but you can use chicken broth if you like)
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tbs dry white cooking wine (the alcohol will cook out)- optional
2 tbs cornstarch

Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray, and saute mushrooms until tender. Put aside. Combine the soy milk, broth, the basil, and the wine in a saucepan and heat until just beginning to simmer. Slowly whisk cornstarch into the hot "cream" mixture. Continue cooking until it has thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms. From my experience with cornstarch vs. flour gravies, the cornstarch should give it a nice gelatanous texture as it cools - and hopefully will be very similar to the canned condensed cream of mushroom soup!

This should equal about one can of soup.

Let me know if anyone tries it! I'll be making myself on New Year's day but wouldn't mind an honest review before then.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (02/20/08 09:35 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tried it and it's perfect! Couple of notes... new
      #321379 - 12/31/07 11:36 AM
Erilyn

Okay I just made this, and it turned out perfectly! After it cooled, it thickened up and turned into the EXACT consistency as the canned soup. A couple of notes:

- it doesn't seem to thicken up too much while it's cooking, but it REALLY thickens up once it is cool.

- it frothed up a LOT while I was cooking it. Be sure to cook it over low heat and remove it from time to time if necessary. It might have just been the style of whisk I was using though.

Enjoy!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

instead of wine? new
      #321530 - 01/02/08 03:44 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

What could i use in replace of the wine!
thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c

more broth new
      #321534 - 01/02/08 04:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is only 1T anyway.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Just another note on this... new
      #325083 - 02/20/08 09:30 AM
Erilyn

I made this last weekend using Silk Light soy milk and it didn't turn out nearly as good. I think it needs the creaminess of full fat soy milk. Next time I will just buy a little convenience pack of full-fat and use it instead!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review