All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sugar Free Apple Crisp Recipe
      #217398 - 10/04/05 12:38 PM
Candy

Reged: 07/18/04

HI. I've had IBS for along time as well as several food allergies including an allery to processed sugar. (I've always been alergic to grass & guess what.. sugar cane is a grass...who knew...?)
Anyway I just wanted to share one of the few sugar free & safe recipes that I have when my IBS acts up.
Plus it just tasts really good. Originally my Mom's recipe, she had only ever added sugar to the topping so it just took a little trial & error to remove the sugar & still have the topping tast good. (I usually cram in as many apples as possible.)

I hope you enjoy. Can.

No Sugar Apple Crisp

7-8 peeled, cored, chopped apples
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon, plus
1 tsp nutmeg, plus
1/3 cup soft butter
1-2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (or if you don't have any on hand simply chop & then mash some of the apple with a spoon)

Mix oats, flour, cinnamon, & nutmeg. Add butter & mix will with a fork. Then add enough applesause as needed to make mixture crumbly (it should not be powdery). Set aside.

Place Chopped apples in a casserole dish & sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg, mix well until all the slices are coated. Then add topping evenly over apples.

Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for at least 25 min. up to 1 hour depending on how big or small you slice the apples. You can check with a knife to see if the apples are soft/done and the topping is golden brown.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yum! new
      #217446 - 10/04/05 04:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just a quick note, for everyone else - butter is not IBS-safe, because it's a dairy product. Use soy or another form of safe margarine instead.

I'm going to give a crisp a try! I've actually been craving apple crisp, but I'm kind of on a diet and figured that a sugarless crisp wouldn't taste all that great. But you've convinced me! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Yum! new
      #217627 - 10/05/05 12:33 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, this'll sound stupid but how thick do you make it? Apple crisp is NOT a UK thing and I haven't a clue...an inch, half an inch, what?

No, that's a good question new
      #217630 - 10/05/05 12:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And one I hope Candy will come back and answer, as it's her recipe, and it's been years since I've made a crisp.

But if I remember right, I used to put about this quantity of apples in an 8x8" dish, so it ends up somewhat thick. The apples can be on the thick side anyway; the topping is the only part that really gets "crisp".

rofl- new
      #217746 - 10/06/05 07:49 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I asked this the first time I made one because I didn't realize how far down the apples would cook...

but I have never made one with added sugar... and I have left off most of the butter too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review