Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zucchini carpaccio
      #206708 - 08/19/05 08:13 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

ZUCCHINI CARPACCIO
This recipe was inspired by the version at Tramonti e Muffati restaurant, where the dish gets its distinctly Roman flavor from local mint, Sicilian lemons, and two-year-old Grana Padano cheese.
The pine nuts are raw here, as Italians rarely toast them.

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 20 min

4 small zucchini (1 lb total)
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup pine nuts (1 oz) 1 (6-oz) piece Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano

Garnish: thinly sliced tips of 2 zucchini blossoms*; 4 fresh mint sprigs
Special equipment: a Japanese Benriner** or other adjustable-blade slicer

Cut zucchini diagonally into paper-thin slices with slicer. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in 1 layer on 4 plates.

Make stacks of mint leaves and cut crosswise into very thin slivers, then sprinkle over zucchini.

Whisk together oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, then drizzle over zucchini. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper to taste, and pine nuts. Let stand 10 minutes to soften zucchini and allow flavors to develop.

Just before serving, use a vegetable peeler to shave cheese to taste over zucchini, then sprinkle with zucchini blossoms and mint.

*Available at specialty produce markets and some supermarkets.
**Available at Asian markets, some cookware shops, and Uwajimaya (800-899-1928).

Makes 4 first-course servings.
Gourmet
March 2003

The sad thing is not having the cheese. I don't have a benriner or mandoline and so I can't make this.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zucchini carpaccio new
      #206806 - 08/19/05 02:12 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Little Minnie, this sounds divine--if only RAW FOOD agreed with me!!! I could eat this whole recipe minus the olive oil and the pine nuts/cheese. I do something the very same most nights with zucchini (no mint leaves--generally basil instead as mint give me reflux/heartburn!). I just broil the zucchini in the oven on a cookie sheet. Those blossoms rock! I love stuffing them with spinach and herb puree.

Once again, you're a genius. It's a highly adaptable recipe!

Just out of curiousity, how do you handle raw food? I tried raw romaine lettuce today--it was so good and an hour later it's still in me!!! I took some high potency enzymes to help with the cellulose. There's something thirst quenching about lettuce.
Kate.

raw veggies new
      #206843 - 08/19/05 05:03 PM
Little Minnie

I eat raw veggies quite often. As long as I have a SF base I am fine with them. In fact IF isn't that much of a trigger for me. Fat and dairy are much more so. I just had a boca burger with basil leaves, iceberg lettuce and heirloom tomatoes (ooo I should post a picture of them.) and a side of potatoes and I am sure I will be fine with it. But everyone is different!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: raw veggies new
      #206860 - 08/19/05 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm just out of the habit of raw! IF generally doesn't trigger me either--or I have a high tolerance! I ate 2 huge romaine lettuce salads! Raw does really accelerate things, though, I must confess. Like you, I'm hyper-fat sensitive. Certain types of IF really rattle me and wreck me, i.e. wholewheat/bran--but then again I'm allergic to wheat! IF in grain form is my worst trigger next to fat and obviously my allergens. Dairy kills me, and I'm allergic to that too! I'm sensitive/intolerant to most legumes, too.

Cauliflower and broccoli are sitting just dandy with me again as long as I take enzymes. I'm still not used to the lettuce and I ate quite an obscene amount as it was so JUICY. (I have the culinary soul of a rabbit) I just have to be careful with the raw as I have really awful teeth and bad TMJ.

I hate cabbage rolls, but I LOVE ROMAINE LETTUCE ROLLS!!!

Honestly Tamara--you should write for a food magazine! At least write a cook book or something related. You are too good to be true.

Kate.

hardly! new
      #206878 - 08/19/05 08:10 PM
Little Minnie

I can hardly make french toast and my recipes are always like Jamie Oliver- a pinch of this and a handful of that.
I have gotten a lot of suggestions lately of books to write etc. A friend wants me to write a Jane Austen inspired horse book. I would love to write a cookbook of safe IBS recipes, unfortunately they are usually stolen from elsewhere like Cooking Light and then just made dairy free and a little less fat. I am proud of the few I have come up with, but it is nothing like the cooks on the Food Channel!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review