All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
potato recipes wanted
      #20117 - 09/09/03 05:51 PM
ocafe

Reged: 09/06/03
Loc: Miami, Florida

I need SAFE foods to eat for lunch and I love potatoes. I'm also tired of eating crackers, pretzels, and plain rice for lunch. So how can I get creative with potatoes and stay SAFE!?

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!
18 more to reach my short term goal!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: potato recipes wanted new
      #20141 - 09/09/03 10:33 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

If you have _Eating for IBS_, the garlicky home fries (p. 118) and the Korean seasoned potatoes (p. 120) are GREAT!

I haven't tried (but plan to) the German potato salad that ran in one of Heather's newsletters. Check the newsletter index.

I'll look for some more recipes (when I shouldn't be in bed! ), but start with those .

#20153 - 09/10/03 06:48 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Check this link out: http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/potatoes/

You'll have to make sure to sub for the dairy and any other obvious triggers in these recipes, but they are vegetarian and fat free so they should at least start out reasonably safe.

My personal fave is to nuke two medium potatos for about four minutes. Remove and dice. Place potatos in a pre-heated stirfry pan coated lightly with olive oil. Then I toss with all sorts of seasonings, such as garlic, which I got from Heather's book...or rosemary and soy sauce...or cajun....or whatever floats your boat. My fave is with garlic. Then I dip them in Heinz Organic Ketchup (no high fructose corn syrup). YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM!!!! For a bigger meal, I usually grill up 4-6 ounces of chicken on my George Foreman Grill, then slice and toss in with the taters.

--------------------
~jules

#20207 - 09/10/03 12:29 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hey Tess,

You mentioned in one of your messages a sort of potato garlic puree (Skordalia??) ... do you have a recipe for that, or do you just buy it? That sounds like a safe and yummy lunch option.

-cheme

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

re: garlic-potato puree new
      #20251 - 09/10/03 08:13 PM
TessLouise

Thanks for reminding me! I used to make a version of this with mayo, and boy was it good, but this one is healthier...well, if you cut down on the olive oil . I'd add half the olive oil and see how it turns out. Enjoy!

Skordalia (Garlic-Potato Puree) from _The American Century Cookbook_

2 medium to large potatoes (about 1 pound), boiled, peeled, and mashed
4 to 8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 cup finely ground walnuts (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fruity olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1. By hand, beat potatoes, garlic (your fondness for garlic determines the number of cloves), walnuts, if desired, and salt until smooth and fluffy.
2. Alternately drizzle in lemon juice, olive oil, and vinegar, beating hard after each addition. Continue beating until smooth. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Note: You can at this point use a hand electric mixer without turning the potatoes to glue.
3. Serve as a spread for crackers or freshly made melbas, or as a dip for bite-size chunks of cucumber, zucchini, or yellow squash. Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

#20263 - 09/10/03 09:25 PM
TessLouise

Here's another one for ya...

Stuffed Potatoes from _The Children's Step-by-Step Cookbook_

1 large potato per person
Salt and pepper

For the shrimp filling, per person:
1 tablespoon soy yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped cucumber
1/4 cup peeled small shrimp

For the tuna filling, per person:
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons canned tuna
2 tablespoons cooked corn (if you can handle it)
1 tablespoon chopped scallion

1. Set the oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes under running water and dry them with a kitchen towel.
2. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, then put them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven.
3. The potatoes take 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook. When they are nearly ready, chop the ingredients for the fillings.
4. Then put the ingredients for each filling in a bowl and mix them together. Taste it and add salt and pepper if needed.
5. After an hour, take the potatoes out of the oven. Push a knife into one. If it is soft, it is done.
6. Make cross-shaped cuts in each of the potatoes. Spoon the filling into the cuts in the potatoes. Eat the potatoes immediately, while hot (though if you wanted this for lunch, I don't see why you couldn't heat up a leftover baked potato and add the cold filling right then...).

I have one final potato suggestion: I own a cookbook called _The Humble Spud_ that I picked up at a Scholastic book sale. I haven't tried any of the recipes in it yet, and it's heavy on the butter and cream--some recipes are absolutely IBS-hopeless--but some are able to be modified, so it might be worth your time to look for a copy. Good luck!

#31861 - 12/14/03 08:58 PM
TessLouise

I finally made the tuna filling for potatoes (I used creamed corn in place of the cooked corn 'cause it's broken up more). Um...don't try it. It's pretty awful. Sorry about that!

Re: re: garlic-potato puree new
      #36764 - 01/12/04 08:26 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Skordalia (Garlic-Potato Puree) this looks fabulous....can't wait to try it!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (01/12/04 09:44 AM)

Heinz organic ketchup? new
      #43950 - 02/09/04 03:55 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Do you get this at the regular grocery store?

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Re: Heinz organic ketchup? new
      #43981 - 02/09/04 07:31 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

yes u can get it at any supermarket,i actually got it in the ketchup aisle!! it has all natural ingrediants and doesnt affect me at all like regular ketchup used to!! ( i still only use in in small quantities(like 1 teaspoon) though just in case

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12576

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review