All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Red Swiss Chard
      #188364 - 06/22/05 01:47 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Here's a recipe for a "Red Monster." It's more or less a loose guide as substitutions can be made based on preferences and availability.

RED SWISS CHARD

Ingredients:

--a bunch or two of Red chard, trimmed of stems, chopped
***a bunch looks intimidating, but cooked it doesn't yield all that much, perhaps 1-1.5 cups!
--a carrot or two, peeled if desired, and chopped. (natural sweetener and adds nice colour and sf!)
--herbs of choice, sea salt
--optional***shallots, or red onion, or garlic***

Method:

--get the carrot/s simmering for a few minutes in water or stock. I use only enough to cover the carrots. I add sea salt and any herbs I'm in the mood for. If using a little allum, i.e. shallots or onion or garlic, get them started prior to the carrot, i.e. saute for a minute or two with Pam.
--add red chard and wilt, stir. It doesn't take long to cook.
--drain.
--Blend in food processor for about five minutes, until smooth and creamy. Eat with sf of choice. Great alternative pizza sauce. Fantastic with pasta/noodles, rice, grains, tubers, squashes, tortillas, flatbreads, sweet potatoe, polenta, etc. My brother likes this stuffed in tomatoes and then broiled or on top of sweet potato pancakes with fresh cilantro and the heat of a few fresh chiles. Great stuffing for manicotti, or wrapped and rolled.

--If you enjoy a little mild acidity, add a little balsamic vinegar or lemon or seasoned rice vinegar. If you like salsas or chutneys, a little adds a lot of zing/tang.
--Tastes really good cold.

Serves: 2 really hungry people!

Alternatives to carrot option:

--a handful or two of green beans
--a bunch of asparagus
--a small beet or two***this addition is a royal red chard treat! Nice combination of sweet and salty!!!***
--a hunk or two of squash
--a few chunks of sweet potatoe.
--Often, I combine red chard with baby spinach and then add one of any of the above options. I also enjoy the peppery quality of arugula in contrast to the sweetness of the chard and will often add that to the mix, just rinse and remove stems. Arugula is very high in calcium.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 427 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 924

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review