All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Green Swiss Chard
      #187996 - 06/21/05 06:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Green Swiss Chard

This is a cooked veggie smoothie. Warning, it smells really good.

--a bunch or two of green swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
--asparagus, 1 bunch (snap ends and chop)
--herbs of choice

Yield: More than enough for two really hungry people, or mini meals!!!

Methods:

--steam or saute chard, asparagus, and herbs with sea salt.
--drain and stick in the food processor.

Note: If you choose to saute chard, use Pam spray. Also, the addition of a simmering liquid enhances the flavour. I like veg. broth. Sometimes balsalmic vinegar or red or white wine. The alcohol evaporates in the cooking. Tomato sauce is an option if you enjoy tomatoe sauces. Water works, too.

This is an incredible noodle/pasta/rice/bread/potatoe--SF sauce. Combined with SF and WELL BLENDED it is something I find VERY SAFE. My mother loves this stuffed in a pita or with chapati.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Green Swiss Chard new
      #187997 - 06/21/05 06:26 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

sounds yummy, Kate.

Thanks! Will try!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#188173 - 06/22/05 08:08 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I am also v. interested in your pureed veggie recipies--keep em comin'!
Question though--how much do you puree the veggies? Do they come out the consistency of baby food? Have you ever subbed baby food/organic baby food (for the basic veggies)? Did it turn out ok?
Thanks!!!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#188217 - 06/22/05 08:58 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This sounds like a good way for me to get some more greens. And it sounds delicious! Thanks!

#188264 - 06/22/05 09:52 AM
Wind

I like things REALLY WELL blended!!! They do come out like baby food consistency. If you want it thinner add more liquid, i.e. water/broth... I guess you could compare it to pudding or custard, initially. A plastic fork or spoon could stand up to it.

I've tried it with canned and honestly, I just find canned things really disgusting and old tasting and yucky. Fresh is best--I like to smell something, but frozen would work. Honestly, I haven't been able to find any good baby food substitutes for the greens. They cook in a flash and are quite cost effective.

#189742 - 06/28/05 07:32 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I was pureeing canned spinach (yes, the Popeye kind, lol!!) for a while and liking it just fine. And THEN I tried it with fresh spinach - and I will *never* go back!!! The fresh is soooo much better, and the colour is so much more brilliantly green.

This is a great recipe Kate! I've done a few similar things to this in the past though cooking it with vinegar or wine sounds really good! Will have to try!

For those of you who are blending/pureeing with these recipes? new
      #189774 - 06/28/05 09:07 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

What appliance/model/size are you using to do this? If I did this in a regular blender, it satters all over the sides and in the blade and I lose half the veggie!

Do you use a personal, small individual size appliance? Is it a blender, a food proccessor? I would love a make/brand name to look for. I have a mini thing with a blade...but don't know if it's a processor or a chopper??

Thanks!

Re: For those of you who are blending/pureeing with these recipes? new
      #190141 - 06/29/05 09:18 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I use a blender, but I think Kate has a food processor. I find that yes, if I only do a small amount then yeah, you really have to get in there to scrape it all out (usually by taking apart the blender before I put it in the dishwasher).

That's why I usually do larger batches and then just store it in the fridge - different mixes/purees go so well with lots of different things (pasta, eggs, on a baked potato, rice... etc...) so they're great to have in the fridge.

Re: For those of you who are blending/pureeing with these recipes? new
      #190355 - 06/29/05 06:33 PM
Wind

I've got a food processor. It's a breeze. Clean up is no sweat either. It can hold 2 L. Much more effective than a blender. Great for doing large batches. Has some other blades for fine chopping/grating etc. that really come in handy, too. I just checked and mine is made by Braun. No clumps, chunks, etc. It's like a bucket!!! The other blades are great for when you actually aren't in the mood for pureed food.

Edited by Wind (06/30/05 05:11 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5921

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review